ABS Pipe for Housings?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself - DIY' started by Cheetah223, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Cheetah223

Cheetah223 Barracuda

I'm building a housing for my video camera using the simple pipe-with-a-cap method, almost everyone I see making housings use PVC, and I understand that PVC is pressure rated so the argument of why PVC is used isn't an issue for me. The issue is that Home Depot only has ABS pipe large enough to fit my camera (4"...and that's cutting it close) I picked up two feet to start the job on but I can't find any information relating to pressure handled by ABS ANYWHERE online, short of buying the ASTM specs for $50 to download.

Does anyone know how much pressure 4" sch 40 cellular core ABS can hold? It'll need to hold up and be useable at 100' max. Should I toss it in a dumpster and travel farther until I get my hands on PVC?

2. 350xfire

350xfire Divemaster

I don' think you'll have a problaem. 100' is about 45 psi and that's not really much. Just make sure the clear window can handle it.

3. Lone Frogman

Lone Frogman Amphibious ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Dump it.

4 "PVC 40 is 220 psi, 4" PVC 80 is 320 psi. ABS is used for non pressure.

4. Cheetah223

Cheetah223 Barracuda

I'm only curious because there's always an operating pressure and a bursting pressure..I figure 100fsw is closer to 60psi, though I may have the math wrong. Just to keep it safe I want an operating pressure over 100psi, and a bursting pressure higher than that. I don't want to cut it close with a $500 camera inside..As for the window, I may not even put one on. I'm using it with a bullet cam, so I'm just going to run a wire through a gland like a canister light to the external camera and just use the actual camcorder as a recording medium..

EDIT: Frogman, you posted as I was typing..Like I said, I know the pressures and differences between ABS and PVC, I don't really care that PVC is pressure rated and ABS isn't, as long as ABS is strong enough..I'm hoping someone has used ABS before. Plenty of can lights seem to have ABS canisters from pictures..

5. fdog

fdog ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

If you're only going to 100', then just use a Pelican Micro-case, like the Pelican 1020.

The clear ones are good for peace of mind. They'll take the depth. Don't ask me how I know, I just know they will.

All the best, James

6. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I can't imagine a 4 inch schedule ABS cylinder being bothered at 100 feet .

Pete

7. Cheetah223

Cheetah223 Barracuda

I thought about a Pelican case, but on top of not being sure if they'd take the pressure, I need to fit my camera as well as a battery and a ton of wires into the case, and the only pelican cases I can find that are big enough in all the dimensions to fit everything are WAY too big in at least one other dimension for what I want. I'm using the pipe to keep the size down, my camera fits perfectly, can't even rattle when it's slid into the 4" pipe.

8. Packhorse

Packhorse Loggerhead Turtle

You are correct and wrong :rofl3:

100ft is about 60 psi absolute but since you will not be forming a vacuum in your housing before you dive or sealing it in outerspace the pressure differential will be about 45psi. or 14.5 psi per 33ft

9. 350xfire

350xfire Divemaster

Or it takes 2.31 feet of water column per psi, thus, 100/2.31 = 43.2. About 45... Of course, that is for fresh water, so a salt water correction may be closer to 45 psi...

10. merxlin

merxlin Moderator Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

One note about the 4" ABS pipe: It is a foam core pipe with an ABS inner and outer shell. It is very strong, but I am not sure how drilling or attachments will stand up.

11. Cheetah223

Cheetah223 Barracuda

Good call, guess I need to think a little deeper into things before I speak haha. :lotsalove:

As for drilling, I'm hoping to heat it up and stretch a ring around one end and drill clamps to that instead of into the pressure vessel, and the solid endcap I got seems to be solid ABS as opposed to having the cellular core like the pipe does..I should be able to tell that when I drill it for the gland, and I'll obviously do a couple of dry tests before I throw anything but wires inside the housing to be sure..

Only thing I worry about at this point, PVC won't burn, at least not as hot as I've been able to get it, it just melts and boils and extinguishes any flame as soon as the source is taken away...So throwing it in the oven to make it malleable doesn't concern me too much. ABS is an entirely new beast to me - if I toss it in a 400* oven for a few minutes, am I going to be burning down the house, or gassing myself when I open the oven to pull it out?

12. Lone Frogman

He's a link on PVC SAFETY OF PVC IN ACCIDENTAL FIRE

13. Cheetah223

Cheetah223 Barracuda

I appreciate the effort and the information, but again - maybe I didn't make it clear in my original post - I'm working with ABS, *not* PVC, and therefore am not interested in what the capabilities of PVC are. I had to drive 50 miles to get my hands on ABS big enough to fit my camera, and PVC is going to be somewhere beyond that - so PVC isn't an option...I'm looking for relevant information to the materials I've got to work with.. :hm:

14. Lone Frogman

I never tried to heat ABS in a oven. But I have seen ABS get really flexible just laying in the hot summer sun.

15. cwkline

cwkline Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I would try to get some ABS Sch 40 pipe, and not rely on the foam core. You might want to try an RV shop, as I believe that is what they still use.
    You also need to remember that ABS breaks down quickly and can become brittle with exposure to sunlight. It also can become very brittle when exposed to cold temps.
    You may want to consider PVC Sch 80.
    Just a plumbers point of view.

16. micklock

micklock Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Check with a local golf course, we have up to 6" schedule 80 pvc. They might have some scraps laying around.

17. treasurehunter

treasurehunter Nassau Grouper

I'm a plumbing contractor and only use abs for drain pipes. I know pvc is really out of the way for you but you should consider not only the pipe but the glue used for abs not sure it will hold up to that kind of presure,it might but with an expensive gadjet inside i'd be careful. Second there are two kind of pvc Pressure and drainage. And each kind has the proper glue for its purpose. The problem with the pvc of that size is cost and you will have to buy at least 12 feet also the pipe can be brittle if knock hard.

18. Cheetah223

Cheetah223 Barracuda

Thanks for the ideas on getting my hands on PVC, and the information on ABS. PVC is no stranger to me, my dad owns a plumbing company, so I've got about eight years experience dealing with PVC, but we never used ABS, hence all the questions dealing with ABS. I'll get in touch with my dad and see if he can get me a couple feet of 4" sch 80 and come up with a reasonable way to mail it from Montana to SoCal, it seems like a gamble if I go through with the ABS..

19. couv

couv Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Right,

Each foot of sea water exerts .445 psi
    Each foot of fresh water exerts .432 psi

When estimating, just use 1/2 lb per foot.

Here is some more just about useless information.

Sea water weighs 64 lbs per cubic foot
    Fresh water weighs 62.4 lbs per cubic foot

c

20. pdh

pdh Scuba Instructor

Cheetah, I made a housing from ABS. The reason was I found it much easier to glue than PVC as it melts using that Acetone based glue. I don't think the burst pressures quoted before in this thread are going to be an issue. Pressure is different when trying to crush things as opposed to trying to explode them and my ABS housing went to 42 metres with no problems and I'm sure would have gone a lot deeper. I currently make housings from Perspex (acrylic) and is not pressure rated at all and which would probably explode with fairly low pressures in them but managed to get to 146 metres before breaking (and that was the end plate, not the tube). See my page below - the Mark I and Mark II are all ABS. The Mark III is all acrylic.

Paul's Homemade Underwater Video Housing

At 42 metres on the James Barrie in Scapa Flow - no lights

My advice is try it. It will probably work well, within sensible depth limits.

regards Paul.