Adopt a Soldier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please keep politics far from this thread. Thank you. :)

MikeFerrara:
My son is there and I know what he asked for. He asked me to send him a camera and his buddies want me to make them knives...they know I'm a hobby bladesmith.

It's not very comfortable over there and I'm sure anything that helps out in that area would be appreciated. The other day, my son told me that they were fired on by the Iraq police. Other than that, it's snipers. They don't see them and they don't fight them. They walk around on patrol doing their best to present a good target. What they really need is to get out of there.

Our boys (canucks) could use some help in Afghanistan too, it's getting real nasty there. many losses the last few days :(

oops, sorry for that semi-political comment... editing right now

Sorry, Ward. Thank you to your nation, as well as England, for their support and sacrifices. Your brave men and women are appreciated and thought of. :thumb:

(And I still don't understand why this thread can't be made a sticky, and why my damn request keeps getting deleted! It's a decent and reasonable suggestion. Whichever mod is responsible for deleting it TWICE now, is more than welcome to drop me a PM and explain their rationale) Hrmph....

Fish_Whisperer:
Sorry, Ward. Thank you to your nation, as well as England, for their support and sacrifices. Your brave men and women are appreciated and thought of. :thumb:

(And I still don't understand why this thread can't be made a sticky, and why my damn request keeps getting deleted! Whichever mod is responsible for that, is more than welcome to drop me a PM and explain their rationale) Hrmph....

Thanks

would it be easier to copy the DVD's to something like a large thumb drive or an external HD be easier to send movies over?

yea, we send thumb drives back and forth...music, etc.

also, I sent a multi pack of small thumb drives/ Costco as gifts to the Iraqi soldiers when JB left the plattoon last year. Those things are very handy and have gotten pretty cheap.

ok, a mod asked me to refrain from political comments and, given the tos, that is a reasonable enough request. I don't even care anything about politics.

I can't speak for everyone over there, but my son doesn't much care what he eats. Besides there's stray dogs all over the place and I think they'd make a fine BBQ for anyone with grit. He's even used to spending long periods of time in the field without showers, pilows or music. He's a young strong Marine and camping is fun. I don't want to come across as making light of anyones good hearted efforts but I'm his father and I don't care if he has to do without snack foods, music or pillows. I'm more worried he might have to do without arms, legs or his head. What can we send that will help them stay in one piece?

Find out what their preferred cleaning solvents & lubricants are for their weapons. In that environment some work pretty well, some downright lousy. They may like to have additional supplies to keep those guns running reliably. Worth asking about.

Wayward Son:
Find out what their preferred cleaning solvents & lubricants are for their weapons. In that environment some work pretty well, some downright lousy. They may like to have additional supplies to keep those guns running reliably. Worth asking about.

Good point. I hear the sand reaks havoc and clogs up lots of their guns, engines, etc.

I'm more worried he might have to do without arms, legs or his head. What can we send that will help them stay in one piece?

my advice, support those who are fighting to keep their armored hum-vees and body armor paid for and delivered. We all sent them there unanimously. "Support the Troops" and "Semper FI" is more than a bumper sticker.

A good night's rest keeps their minds clear and their reflexes sharp, so don't make too light of a pillow or a pad. I feel I can speak to this JB is there for the fifth time.

Also, he had weeks where he had only one small MRE per day in Afganistan, so having some easy portable source of calories is important when on missions. Losing 18 pounds and sleeping in the dirt without a coat can put you off your game of staying alive in a big way. If they are "humping it" having a few packages of peanut butter crackers in their packs can make a big difference when your stomach is gnawing.

Now they have coats and food, let's try and keep it that way until we get them out.

This is not political, this is humanitarian for "our tribe".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom