Advanced Diver Ratings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warhammer,
I've heard of diving being statistically safer than bolwing. It's not as bad as most people think, it's just that you hear about alot of different fatalities. The news always makes a big deal out of it. I personally think that there are very valuable lessons to be learned from the unfortunate inscidents.

Mario :(

Friends, Romans Countryman, lend me your reg.
The reason we hear about it, is that we are a closed knit community, and the news spreads throughout it like a wild fire.

Don aka (Julius Caesar)

Mario darling,
Posting info from 1991? Isn't that a bit outdated? Come into the new millinium, dearest.
And PS, I'll have a special 'gift' for you at DEMA.:wink:

Natasha,
I feel like a kid the night before Christmas... I just love unwrapping gifts! :1st:

Guys,
Hehe, there is no Mrs... bring on a whole pod of Mermaids... if there is such a thing!

Mario :D

I think diving acsidents are like general aviation acsidents. By boy friend is a pilot and the number of acsidents in that community is mostly as fatal and spectacular as in diving. I think that the consept of :These brave/foolish men/women out there finnally got what they deserved! is one the press is propagating and it is probably selling.

The other issue - which is on training - is that the way we make decisions is influenced by many factors (See The Last Dive). Many of these factors are known and in the theory for pilot skills they learn about it. There the subject is known as: Human limits and preformance. Some of this theory I brought to my class for CMAS***, where we found it very usefull.

But then again I think we could learn a lot from the pilots rules and educations.

......no one knows how many divers there are. Estimates are based on total certifications, but no one knows what % of certified divers are still active or are even still alive. Even if we were to somehow (impossible IMHO) find out the number of divers, we still have no idea as to how many dives are made. Fatalities per divers is not a good measure. A better measure would be accidents/rescues per dives made. How many non fatal accidents go unreported? How many rescues are made all of which are unreported? How many accidents would occur if a DM wasn't holding hands? How many accidents are prevented when screw ups by incompetent divers are caught by the DM or another diver?

I believe total divers are over estimated. Reporting only fatalities also warps the numbers. Our accident/rescue rate is much higher than most of us believe. Some aspects of diving have gotten safer, but I believe it's been offset by other factors. Diving is not as safe as the powers that be would have us believe.

Walter

Don,
Stay Tuned. As for Walter, his last line makes sense. Unfortunatly, in the last 2 weeks I have heard of three deaths, including one in my beloved Bonaire. I don't know any details other then it happened, but I'm sure there is a lot we don't know about in so many parts of the world. Who reports deaths in the Red sea, or Micronesia, unless you hear about it from someone that was there while it happened?
I'd like to see one of the dive magazines keep up on these stories, so we can all learn from them.
The Little Mermaid,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom