Advice for Cairns in May -- Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainviewer

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from California,

I will completeing my PADI open water certification during the next few weeks here in Monterrey (brrrr!). I'll be in Cairns the 3rd week of May and looking to do a 3 day live-aboard.

I've been comparing Pro-dive, Spirit of Freedom and Mike Ball. I'm leaning towards the latter two because of the better excursions (northern reefs=better visability). Prodive seems to cater more towards novice divers, but I might consider paying extra for guided dives to be on the safe side.

Any input on this? Would this be more advanced then my abilities? How are the conditions (temperature, weather, seas) in mid-May on the GBR?

I would greatly anyones advice or suggestions. Thank you.

Hi,

I think a 3-day liveaboard is much too short to get a good idea of what the Barrier Reef has to offer ... getting to all the good spots you'd want to think of at lest 4-5 days better even the 6 or 7 day trips. It's really woth spending some more time ... and money ... to do it properly.

For a comprehensive listing of all liveaboards from Cairns and surrounds check the following link http://www.underwater.com.au/liveaboards.php/location/far_north_queensland

Some operators give great discounts for underwater.com.au card holders.

Hope that helps ... see you underwater

Tim

mountainviewer:
Greetings from California,

I will completeing my PADI open water certification during the next few weeks here in Monterrey (brrrr!). I'll be in Cairns the 3rd week of May and looking to do a 3 day live-aboard.

I've been comparing Pro-dive, Spirit of Freedom and Mike Ball. I'm leaning towards the latter two because of the better excursions (northern reefs=better visability). Prodive seems to cater more towards novice divers, but I might consider paying extra for guided dives to be on the safe side.

Any input on this? Would this be more advanced then my abilities? How are the conditions (temperature, weather, seas) in mid-May on the GBR?

I would greatly anyones advice or suggestions. Thank you.

Good to see you are heading this way. I understand your confusion over the number of options available, but whatever you do...... dont worry and be happy.

My photo's have a picture of spirits boat which has just come out of the water for a 2 week internal refit. Just to shine the boat and polish the timber. Mikes trip is exceptional with the added bonus of a plane flight home over the reef. Our office " Experience Cairns" is right next to Mike Balls, and Ive got to say I love the guy and his product.

Many people have the same concerns as you.... just got my ticket and am I such a novice that I should restrict myself in what I can achieve on this trip. Cod wash, many visitors from all over the world come here, do their ticket and get on the biggest and the best. Difference between Mike, Spirit and Prodive is simply price, which during May can also be not to bad because of standbys.

If we can offer any more advice, drop us a line or visit when you arrive.

Regards AJ

Back
Top Bottom