Advice on a Regulator System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prima131

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello experts!
I am in search of a new regulator system. My ancient computer officialy died on my last trip to Roatan and the reg I have been using has always been something I've just put up with. I have been diving for a while now, hoever much less recently since moving to a land locked state. I fear I am out of the loop when it comes to new gear and am completely overwhelmed with all of the new options for everything. I need a sturdy set up that will last another 10+ years like my last set up did. I have TMJ and would love something low profile and maybe on a swivel. For the computer I don't need anything fancy, however something that handles O2 and Nitrox is a must. I love the idea a streamlined set up.

I have had less than positive experiences with our two local dive shops so my trust level in their advice is very low so I think I will be heading to one of the online vendors.

Thank you in advance for the help!
(My apologies if this has been posted in the incorrect area...please adjust as needed!)

Well, luckily most regs now days are pretty good so with few exceptions, you'll be happy with almost any.

Certainly you'll have to see about service (local, mailed or yourself).
Use, warm water, cold, travel....

The things I've read on your post, Bonaire and tmj suggest a small and light reg set.

My favorite reg with these things in mind is the Aqualung Mikrons. Super small and light, great breather and easy on the jaw.

Computer is a tougher matter, luckily most do nitrox/air and gauge mode.

You just have to decide if you want watch size, large wrist worn or puck style in a console.

My favs are;

1. Tusa zen, watch style for travel
2. Hollis dg3, wrist style, cheap does it all
3. Almost anything out there.

The best online retailers I've used are;

Diverightinscuba
Leisurepro
Divegearexpress
Piranha dive

Check these out and it'll give you a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you really mean O2? Unless you are doing tech diving there is no need for an O2 cleaned and preped reg....or the extra cost of maintaining them. Pretty much all regs today are "nitrox" ready although it's more sales pitch than fact. For that matter, whats wrong with your current reg, new regs are no better than those of 10 or 15 years ago as long as you are comparing similar levels (top end to top end).

There's a lot of flux in computers currently so unless you need one now, I might wait a few months.

Recently Aqualung purchased Pelagic Pressure Systems who make Oceanic Computers. Just this week I saw the first Aqualung branded computers on a website. It seemed like others might be on the way. So SUUNTO which was formerly distributed by AL is now being distributed by Huish who also owns Liquivision, Zeagle and Atomic. You've got to think something is going to happen there also. In addition, Scubapro bought Seabear, Shearwater just announced the Perdix and Liquivision the Omnix. So you might wait and see how it all shakes out. For a non-AI Computer if the Perdix follows their Petrel model it's likely a fully upgradeable slightly smaller model since it doesn't have a Fischer connector for rebreather support. Deep Six is a new line with an affordable wrist model also - I think they're shipping this month?

Another reg option is Atomic Aquatics. All their seconds are polymer housings with some Titanium components depending on price. I believe the T3 is one of - if not the lightest reg on the market. Their better models have 2nd stage swivels, two better models have a 1st stage swivel also. I dive a T2 and also film. Twice I've almost choked since I got distracted and relaxed my jaw to a point that the 2nd fell out. I honestly think it's because I forgot it was there. The 1st stage swivel isn't something I cared about but what it does is help with hose routing. Personally I route my hoses so they all lay flat and my primary goes off the 2nd port back since the hose seems to follow my head more closely to the 2nd stage swivel. I use the factory rubber hoses. A couple of the upper end models also have a factory Comfo-bite mouthpiece - IDK which ones. Probably an option on any of them also.

Every Atomic breathes the same - they even advertise it. The difference is the specialization. In general the Z3 is the entry-level so it has more chrome/brass less Ti. The B2 more Ti but still chrome/brass 1st stage - and the swivel(s). The ST1 is all Stainless, the M1 their "cave" model - cave ring and no swivel and the T3 the best, dual swivels, completely Titanium and has a 3 year factory service interval. Priced accordingly...

You can also buy an optional 2nd stage swivel across their line. And they sell a generic swivel hose for non-Atomic models. 2 year/300 dive service interval also - not contingent on anything. They cost a little more but you get what you pay for. I've owned one set since 2001 and the T2 since about 2006. The first time I took it in for service the tech mentioned that the only reason he changed the parts was that it was already apart before he realized he didn't need to. Atomics all have a Seat Saver Orifice which relieves presure on the seat during storage by retracting it slightly. It makes them harder to soak since you have to keep one stage dry but IMO the slight effort is worth it.

Explore Apeks regulators. Nothing beats Apeks. Computers - I am considering Shearwater Perdix, Heinrich Weikamp OSTC3 or Seabear H3.

+1 for an Atomic second stage, I picked up a used T2 several years back and have used it for about 300 dives and recently needed a part for it in Cozumel (an exhaust valve, which rarely 'if ever' fails) I borrowed a friends SP S600. The S600 is a very nice reg but compared to the Atomic the pull was noticably heavier. The Atomic 2nd are manufactured to not require yearly servicing which a plus.
The new Shearwater computer looks to be a top of the line choice and I would be tempted if Oceanic hadn't swapped out my VEO 2.0 for a 3.0 when I sent it for repair last spring. If you are budget conscienced Oceanic discontinued their Aeris line but they made the A300 which is the equivalent (perhaps a little better later out) to the VEO 3.0 and vendors are selling them for $200 and Oceanic warranties them.

The only thing that is going to work with TMJ is to put a Milflex hose between your first stage and your primary second stage. Swivels don't solve the problem of stiff old-school rubber hoses. The rubber hoses are cheap old technology that manufacturers use to keep costs down.

You also might look at a Sea Cure mouth piece for your new regulator. They are designed to mold to your teeth when they are in the neutral and relaxed position.

Scuba Toys out of Texas is another really good online retailer, and they stand behind all warranties. Customer service is also top notch and you don't get some script reader in India when you call.

I'm partial to Poseidon regulators because they passed the USN deep diving testing. Other regulators can meet the USN basic requirements for navy service,but very few can pass the deep diving requirements. When you start to go deep your breathing gas gets much more compressed and becomes harder to move through the confines of a scuba regulator. Poseidon regs have a lower work of breathing at all depths in the normox breathing gas depth range.

If you prefer easier to maintain, Sherwood has always been some pretty bulletproof equipment. The design hasn't changed in many years, because it works. Though I did look at the Mikrons for travel, so I second that recommendation.

I'm an Oceanic computer guy if your just talking recreational 10 to 100 foot depths. My understanding is Sherwood dive computers are also made by Oceanic. I didn't know about Oceanic being sold, I hope the designs don't change too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom