Advice On Hose Routing For Hollis Sms100d, Apeks Dst

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for reference daniel, his tanks are clipped off with the bungees. Very similar to the way the razor attaches them with the single bungee.
No, the boltsnaps are way to large to be useful and with those valves they go around the valves the wrong way.

You do not 'unclip and sling' or the tanks will rotate freely when they get lighter (aluminum, remember).

I am also pretty sure from the picture that the bottom boltsnap is in the wrong position relative to valve and firststage.

Just about to head out for work but,

Bolt snaps can be changed, i went for bigger untill use becomes more instinctive and can switch to smaller.

As for 2 short hoses for regs on 5th port one has to be long hose.

When in the water both tanks hang flat ie valves are horizontal and parrallell to floor but when standing with lower few inches in water they float and twist as shiwn in photo

I took the bungee that goes from back to d ring off for photo as when put over valve it hid the 1st stage setup from the photo. when diving once attatched then bungee would be put over valve to pull tanks up and in to body. is that what yo7 meant as i uavent seen any other way of attatchibg the top of a sidemount tank not involving a bolt snap.

Just about to head out for work but,

Bolt snaps can be changed, i went for bigger untill use becomes more instinctive and can switch to smaller.

As for 2 short hoses for regs on 5th port one has to be long hose.

When in the water both tanks hang flat ie valves are horizontal and parrallell to floor but when standing with lower few inches in water they float and twist as shiwn in photo

I took the bungee that goes from back to d ring off for photo as when put over valve it hid the 1st stage setup from the photo. when diving once attatched then bungee would be put over valve to pull tanks up and in to body. is that what yo7 meant as i uavent seen any other way of attatchibg the top of a sidemount tank not involving a bolt snap.

If you're jumping off a boat/entry point when clip the tank to the shoulder then run the bungee as you said. If you're kitting up in the water then just use the bungee.

If you haven't already sack off the stock bungee with the SMS100 as they're notoriously sh*te.

The fit of the rig in your pick looks like a right ballache so i'd suggest what Tbone said and sack off the SMS100 in general if you're just diving ali cylinders and pick up one of the minimalist rigs (Apeks/Diamond/Razor/Stealth etc).

I'd also suggest getting a 90degree elbow for your Left hand reg, helps the hose routing out by putting the 2nd stage right under your chin. +1 also for getting some 5th ports on those DSTs, they make life a tonne easier :)

Last edited:
Those do not need to be big.
You do not 'handle' them at all during the dive, they always stay attached.
They are just an alternative to tying the bungee directly to the D-ring, but are meant to be as unobtrusive as possible - the smaller the better, more or less.

The big boltsnaps will alway put the valves in a certain minimum distance to the D-ring, resulting in an awkward tank position.

Most importantly: Do you have the bottom boltsnap below the first stage? It looks that way.

Your problem with that rig is managing the dual inflators and it's bulk anyway.
In my opinion you should have stayed with the SMS75 you mentioned.

But with the DSTs the setup will only work optimally if the tanks do not rotate, otherwise inflators and hoses will always feel 'wrong' at some point during the dive.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info so far guy,

Every entry i have done / plan to do either involves backwards roll in all gear, giant stride from 1.5m in all gear or long walk from car to shore carrying tanks on shoulder clips. But thanks for the info didnt know that you could dive just bungees.

Stock bungee will go if i keep it due to not allowed in caves as well.

I have a 90 and a 110/70 elbow to try for my short hose reg, but wanted to get the basic setup right before adding that in.

Defo looking into getting the 5th port upgrade but didnt get it as standard as the increased cost was way more than buying in separate and as an APEKS technician i am pretty confident in my ability to fit it myself.

I kept the large bolt snaps supplied with 100 as i found during my deco pro course that having tanks, reg and stage clips i had trouble getting fingers in and around and differentiating between them but i did buy smaller ones to put on at some point which will help pull them in.

Bottom boltsnap is.....hmm if you look at the tank from top down the two bottom bolt snaps are about 15 degrees off the horizontal compared to the 1st stage, is that what you mean?

All up the SMS100 was recommended as a future proof one size fits all rig that i could take and use for back mount pleasure dive, then go to the caves for twin sidemount then on to extended tech courses requiring dual bladder and multiple tanks since i doubted i would be using drysuit here in the tropics. The other times i saw a SMS100D in use was all backmount so the dual shoulder inflators were not a problem.

However, i know ive only had it in the pool for an hour but so far the 100 has proved way too big for me and because of its stitched nature is basically un-adjustable , the top valves are just painful, and the idea of the "plate" over the top of the wing seems just wrong not to mention the plastic buckles!

I dont have a SMS75 what i have is a hollis backplate and 25lbs wing, single peice webbing, with a nomad butt plate that i dived 4 cylinders on for my adv nitrox and deco pro . Then later that course switched for single tank backmount for some rec dives in less than 2 mins!

Im gonna contact the places im diving and my cave inst again and it work out whats cheaper buying another set and travelling with a tec and rec set or travel with one and rent the other.

For Mexico: Buy a Razor or Stealth, sell the Hollis.
When you really want to use backmount while traveling in the future, rent equipment for that on site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom