After the No-See-Ums bite you... what then?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Flonase on a regular basis for my allergies, i will try that if i get bit. The no-seeums never really bothered me when i was at CCV 3 yrs. ago. I guess i taste like crap to them.

RoatanMan - Cactus Juice is used BEFORE they bite, not after. It is not a cure, it is a preventative! :wink:

Depends which product. When I bought mine, I received a 3 pack that includes their miracle Gel. From their website..

Does your skin need help? Cactus Juice™ Miracle Gel is a clear cactus-based gel made with the natural plant derivative of the Prickly Pear Cactus. Miracle Gel is fantastic for soothing sunburn, insect bites, poison ivy, & other skin irritations caused by being outside. Prickly Pear Cactus extract also moisturizes and rehydrates everyday dry skin. Silky-smooth, clear gel. 8 oz. bottle. Unscented.
ye09gree153arrow08.png
learn more about this product [close] Cactus Juice™ Miracle Gel is a clear cactus based gel made with the natural plant derivative of the Englamanii Opuntia, Prickly Pear Cactus. The Prickly Pear Cactus has been used for generations by Native Americans for its soothing properties. Miracle Gel is a naturally comforting, moisturizing gel which rehydrates the skin when used daily. It is extremely effective for soothing sunburn, insect bites, Jellyfish stings, skin rashes and other minor skin irritants. We have finally "rediscovered" the Prickly Pear Cactus for modern uses. All Cactus Juice products are safe for kids! (under 6 months old consult your physician)

Available in 8 oz

Thanks, RoatanMan. I'll be taking some Nasonex with me for dive camp this year. I only got a few bites last year but they sure itched and then they got scratched and, well, you know the rest of the story :)

RoatanMan - Cactus Juice is used BEFORE they bite, not after. It is not a cure, it is a preventative! :wink:
Actually in North America it cannot even be sold as a preventative for bugs as then it would be required to go through epa testing, this is why the "insect repellant" part of the label is just a small sticker and not incorperated into the label

Actually in North America it cannot even be sold as a preventative for bugs as then it would be required to go through epa testing, this is why the "insect repellant" part of the label is just a small sticker and not incorperated into the label

yep. But it does work very well for a preventative, as long as you apply it (not the gel :wink:) early and often. When we used the spray immediately after diving and re-applied about 3-4 hours later, we didn't get a single bite. The times we didn't apply, ouch! those little monster hurt!

I am currently covered in bites after forgetting to apply bug spray while at Sundowners for the UFC fight on Saturday.

What would be my best bet to get some relief (Im in west end) - Head over to the pharmacy by the gas station and get something there? I speak/read zero spanish so the labels at Woody's and the Coconut tree store might as well be greek to me.

Haven't been down there (yet!) so I can't say from experience, but we got badly bitten while down in Providencia recently, which is pretty close to where you are, so I assume the problem is similar. Anyhoo, we found topical Benadryl gel to work well in soothing the aftermath, and I have heard good things about Cactus Juice gel also. A standard topical hydrocortisone preparation should help as well. Look for the strongest concentration you can get, and use it sparingly. A little goes a long way. I am intrigued with the Nasonex idea, but that won't help you much, as it requires advance planning. I will talk to my physician friends and look into this, as I am now planning a long-overdue trip to the Bay islands. I wish you well, my friend. Woody

After the No-Se-Ums (Sand Flies) have bitten you there are any number of tried remedies including Benadryl Lotion and Cactus Juice.

Until you have tried NASONEX, you don't know the miracle.

:confused:Ur kidding me!...I always have nasonex at the house..who would have thunk it...it will be in my bag for sure...beside the deet, duct tape and nylon cord.

I am currently covered in bites after forgetting to apply bug spray while at Sundowners for the UFC fight on Saturday.

What would be my best bet to get some relief (Im in west end) - Head over to the pharmacy by the gas station and get something there? I speak/read zero spanish so the labels at Woody's and the Coconut tree store might as well be greek to me.

there is a Benadryl spray that works great for taking away the itch, but honestly the worst part is making sure you don't scratch and get the bites scabby. They can get infected, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom