After the No-See-Ums bite you... what then?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently covered in bites after forgetting to apply bug spray while at Sundowners for the UFC fight on Saturday.

What would be my best bet to get some relief (Im in west end) - Head over to the pharmacy by the gas station and get something there? I speak/read zero spanish so the labels at Woody's and the Coconut tree store might as well be greek to me.

Just ask whoever is working either at the pharmacy or other store.This one is really pretty simple even if they don't speak english, Hand signals work great, point at the red spot, make itching motion, point to drug shelf.

Don't scratch and the itching sensation goes away after about 20 minutes. The alternative is certain death.

Old South GA remedy for no-see-ums, take a laundry softener dryer sheet and rub it all over your neck, ears, and face. NOSUM's will not mess with you. Sometimes it just pays to be Southern.

You most likely got bit by mosquitoes if they left a mark, NOSEUMs just bite ya and leave no mark. Then again any insect bite might leave a mark on a new Yankee down South, we're just used to it.

Old South GA remedy for no-see-ums, take a laundry softener dryer sheet and rub it all over your neck, ears, and face. NOSUM's will not mess with you. Sometimes it just pays to be Southern. Maybe those Georgia no seeums are just not as smart and easilly fooled as the ones I encounter in Florida and Roatan seem to enjoy taking in the fresh laundry smell

You most likely got bit by mosquitoes if they left a mark, NOSEUMs just bite ya and leave no mark. Then again any insect bite might leave a mark on a new Yankee down South, we're just used to it.
Ho Hummmmmm,
The dryer sheet may work for some, just as deet, cactus juice, skin so soft and many other remedies, the facts remain that people are affected differently and nothing works for everyone. deet products are my choice as, for me, they work for sand flies/noseeums as well as disease carrying mosquitoes.
As far as leaving a mark or not, you obviously have not been to Roatan. Again, everyone is different, Some get no mark at all then there are some that get rather large welts of various colors, and everything in between.

I am currently covered in bites after forgetting to apply bug spray while at Sundowners for the UFC fight on Saturday.

What would be my best bet to get some relief (Im in west end) - Head over to the pharmacy by the gas station and get something there? I speak/read zero spanish so the labels at Woody's and the Coconut tree store might as well be greek to me.

So, did you ever do your Dm Training? So many such as yourself are so into posting and asking all the questions ahead of time but them never fill in the details. What are the new DM numbers up to these days?

I'm confused. Why would Nasonex be more effective than a topical steroid cream? Certainly there are topical steroid creams which are less expensive.

To me the recipe has always been an oral antihistamine (topical creams are worthless), topical steroid if needed, and if the reaction is severe enough, oral steroids. Been the same for a million years.

Speaking of mosquitoes. I had my Nephew, 5, watching part of "Sharkwater" with me. We stopped before they got into the finning. He now proudly tells all of his friends that the animal that is the most dangerous to people is....the mosquito. Building a future shark diving buddy :)

Glad you posted, I will be adding some steroid cream and oral prednisone to my dive pharmacy for fall trips.

Of course some (me) will swear by heavy doses of Vitamin B complex. It works for the noseeums, but not mosquitoes.

THAT's it! I was so happy that this time I didn't get NEARLY as big welts and the massive itching that marred my previous two stays in Roatan - but this time, I was taking double doses B complex. I just took it for the IDC course brain overload. And reaped unexpected fringe benefits in having less Roatan Leper Look! Another mystery solved. Thanks!

J-spot, my best itching remedy is really hot water. I tried it after I learned that it is the remedy of choice for lion fish stings. Exquisite agony for two minutes or so, it feels -AHHHH- just like scratching them, then you feel the sensation fade away and they stay itchless for half a day to a day at least. Worked MARKEDLY better than
Lavender oil
Lemon oil
After-Bite
Vicks
Witch Hazel
Cortisone cream
spit
aloe vera.
All of which I had tried.

Old South GA remedy for no-see-ums, take a laundry softener dryer sheet and rub it all over your neck, ears, and face. NOSUM's will not mess with you. Sometimes it just pays to be Southern.

Haha Hear you on that one. I am from Savannah and the sand gnats here are horrible..did't think about taking those to Roatan before but I will pack them for next month....
Thanks
Lynn

I'm heading down to CCV in August... a bit worried about the bugs (I welt up if a bug looks at me crosseyed!) so thanks for all the suggestions!

My prevention plan is to bath myself regularly in Cactus Juice and top off with the deadliest concentration of Deet I can buy (good think I'm not having any more kids!:wink:. I'm also going to load up on Vit B, can't hurt.

For after the fact... does anyone find that Benedryl is better than something like Claritin? I'll be sure not to forget topical cortisone AND I'm definitely going to add some Nasonex to my kit! Athough I have Flonase around here...I wonder what the difference is?

I suppose if all else fails, I just stay in the water :) They can't get me there and my wetsuit will keep me from scratching them raw.

I can not wait to be in the warm water!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom