Age of Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spack9

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone tell me roughly how old this reg is?
20160525_002512.jpg
20160525_002446.jpg

Late '70's is my guess. I still have one of those seconds I keep in my save a dive kit.

The reg should be stored with the purge depressed, the pin is pushed up to hold the purge cover down to keep pressure off the seat.

I have been pleased with my Sherwood regs from before and after that model so I would probably try to get it running. Regs from that era are simple and close to indestructible if given a little care.

Bob

I think it's newer. The 1st stage is a design that was common in the mid 80's.

I remember them from the mid 80's also. Got my brother one of them. It was a good piston regulator and as a bonus the piston was effectively sealed although someone that worked on them would better tell you if it was. The trickle of bubbles from the first stage is by design. Do not try to tighten the screw.... First time I used one I thought it had a leak. Never could stop it....

I think I remember another part to date the regulator. If the bleed valve (other side of the first stage) looks like a bolt, it is pre 1986. If looks like a rubber mushroom it is post 1986. The one I bought for my brother had a rubber mushroom. The one I used first had what looked like a bolt and was a year or two older. - Ahh the memories!!

Looking more at the picture - it looks to be post 1986 as I see what looks like the bleed valve on the lower part of the first stage picture.

I think I remember another part to date the regulator. If the bleed valve (other side of the first stage) looks like a bolt, it is pre 1986. If looks like a rubber mushroom it is post 1986. The one I bought for my brother had a rubber mushroom. The one I used first had what looked like a bolt and was a year or two older. - Ahh the memories!!

Looking more at the picture - it looks to be post 1986 as I see what looks like the bleed valve on the lower part of the first stage picture.
good catch - the repair bulletin i have indicates the bleed valve appeared after jan 1984.

so that means this is after 1984 and before 1989.

i have the models that replaced this which where purchased in 1989 (and still going strong)

Thanks guys for all the knowledge! This reg is actually older than me but I really love it. Never failed me once. Do you guys know if there is a depth gauge replacement available, preferably sherwood? Mine quit about 5 Years ago diving the City of Richmond. Had it rebuilt and then stored it, never could figure the depth gauge problem out.

You may want to buy a dive computer and save your money on the depth gauge - it really depends on how deep and how often you are looking to dive.

I am willing to sell you an authentic replacement depth gauge at a huge price point (I will also toss in a free very heavy console and several free bottom timers that may even work!).

As per Basking Ridge Diver you will likely discover you NEVER look at the depth gauge. I finally woke up when my pressure gauge busted and ended up removing my console since I had not looked at my bottom timer or depth gauge in many years. I did use the compass every now and then on a liveaboard night dive... My console is sitting in a box somewhere and I have a handful of Sherwood bottom timers.

It all depends upon your objective. If you just want to dive, then use your computers (yes, you should have 2 of them!). I have been using a plain plastic pressure gauge on a HP hose for several years now (not brass & glass!).

If you want to be nostalgic and dive "original stuff" older than you than you, then I suggest you lurk on eBay or send me some money...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom