Air cooling systems for compressors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dick the diver

Registered
Reaction score
I am filling tanks in the tropics, I am told by my compressor supplier that i should fit an air cooling system (at a cost of $3500) as this will save money on filters, what is the science behind air cooling systems, are there any other benefits to fitting one and is there a cheaper way to cool air?

I am sorry i do not know, i lost all interest when i discovered the price. however i do know someone who paid a similar price and it is my intention to question him regarding the benefits of the system when i next see him.
From my understanding the air from the final stage is passed through a cooling system before entering the filter reducing moisture content ( a major problem in the tropics)

That is correct.
As a gas gets compressed it makes heat, hot air can hold more moisture than cold air.
So if you cool the hot air down it will make the moisture condence.
Most industiral compressor instalations will have air driers installed, it is on of the best and cheapest ways to remove moisture from compressed air.

Its $3500 because the pressure it is rated for and it is basicly a big air conditioner unit.

Scroll down until you see Refrigerated Air Dryers

McMaster

That sounds pretty pricey. I think it would be more cost effective to go to a bigger filter tower that you can repack media.

Pesky will probably chime in on this one, but I believe any cooling you did would have to be before a condensate drain prior to your filter bank.

Back
Top Bottom