Air in Scubapro Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I seem to be developing a big head underwater due to air seeping into my Scubapro Everflex hood. The hood has a vent; not sure what the problem is as on some dives there is no issue but on other dives my hood annoyingly bulges with air. The mask seal is on my face not on the hood. I thought I ask this here before making the holes in my hood bigger which can potentially create a bigger rip.
upload_2016-8-13_17-30-1.png

Most manufacturers of hoods put vents at the top of the hood (top of the head) that end up in horizontal position when diving so air is trapped at the highest point which is the "back" of the head/hood. I usually use a nail to put holes at what will be the highest point in the head/hood while diving which is the back of the head/hood.

Thanks BurhanMuntasser; a simple solution indeed.

I have observed that it is from the mask how the air gets under the hood. May be trimming a larger face opening can help, so that the mask skirt doesn't reach under the hood?

There may be something to the last post as when I pushed the hood back away from my face, the problem lessened significantly.

Keep the air in your hood. It isolates and keeps you warm :D

Most manufacturers of hoods put vents at the top of the hood (top of the head) that end up in horizontal position when diving so air is trapped at the highest point which is the "back" of the head/hood. I usually use a nail to put holes at what will be the highest point in the head/hood while diving which is the back of the head/hood.
Do you heat the nail first? I'm thinking of experimenting on my old hood before trying with my nice, expensive warm one (from Waterproof)

Do you heat the nail first? I'm thinking of experimenting on my old hood before trying with my nice, expensive warm one (from Waterproof)

I didn't but I used small nail. Try it and let us know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom