AKR Food

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colo Hippie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So since there was some discussion about the quantity of food I figured I would snap a few pics since we were just at AKR 1-9-16 through 1-16-16. Somehow I missed lunch but it consisted of choice of soup or salad and a meal.

2 pics of the breakfast bar - cereal, fruits, juice, muffins, pastries (help yourself)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Bottom plate - Honduran breakfast - 2 eggs, beans, tortillas, sausage , cheese, guacamole, plantains, hash browns.
Left plate - one egg, hash browns, sausage.
Top plate - 2 egg omelet, sausage
Right plate - oatmeal
All of these are ordered from the breakfast menu and we had no problems changing orders. Most items on the menu were omelets and or eggs( 2 eggs) and sides, sausage & bacon were offered on alternate days.
image.jpeg

Dinner salads and rolls served before dinner.
image.jpeg

Dinner - Bottom & right plate-pork chops, rice & veggies.
Left plate-chicken breast & thigh,potatoes & veggies(.
Top plate is just an order of French fries
No pics of the deserts that were offered every nighrt.
image.jpeg

None of the 4 of us ever went hungry and after the first day started ordering half an order for breakfast. Snacks are not included but we never felt we needed any.

Hope this helps instead of trying to describe the quantity.

The rest of the resort is exactly as I/we remember it from the last time we stayed there in 2008 and matches most of the reviews on here. We had no complaints and would go back. It was the first time our friends have been to AKR and Roatan and they have said they would go back to both. The water at the resort is drinkable, we drank it all week and no problems. The water in the rooms did have a chemical taste to us but we are used to well water at home in the mountains of Colorado so we are used to water that is better than most bottled water you buy.

We took a cab into Coxen Hole and hit the Plaza Mar for Salva Vida & Rum & coke. Because our friends had never been to the island all 4 of us took the cab, which costs per person, we spent about the same on cab fair as it would have cost us to just buy drinks at the resort but it did save us trips from our deck to the pool to get drinks. Had just one or two of us went into town we would have saved money on drinks.

Our last day we gave our friends a tour of the island and took them shopping in West End, This time we tried the zip line @ South Shore Zip Line and South Shore is definitely better than Gumbolina Park.

Last edited:
I stayed a week at AKR in May 2012 after doing my Divemaster course on Utilia. I thought the food was excellent and plentiful. I agree snacks were never needed but available in the small shop.

Current info and pics are very much appreciated.

Looks yummy.

Was bottled/purified water also provided in the rooms if one didn't like the taste you were comfortable with? Cost or free?

In that the other thread you reference was indeed centered on "quantity", please clarify- was it a single serving as shown plated in pictures- and done? Or could one obtain "seconds"?

Bottled water was available in the snack shop, so assuming not free I don't know what the price was and the water in the restaurant and on the dive boats tasted fine.

The breakfast bar was help yourself and we had seconds from it. We never asked about seconds for lunch or dinner. We were not able to finish the first portion on most nights and as mentioned we started ordering less than a full breakfast. Honestly, it did not occur to me to ask about it and I do not remember seeing or hearing anyone asking for seconds.

Edit - and yes it was yummie.

Every night we had a three choices. Usually 1-beef or pork. 2- pork or chicken. 3-fish. Except on feista night, which was barbecue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
The OP in this thread was obviously in regards to my AKR trip report. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but you know...life.

The photos above are a perfect example of a picture being worth a thousand words, yet two people can look at the same photo and see two different things.

Here's what I see:

Breakfast - omelettes are tiny, with two teeny tiny pieces of sausage or bacon.... And the strange thing is the carbs. At least if you're gonna be stingy with the protein, fill up my plate with the shredded potatoes...nope. Same goes for rice or French fries with dinner and lunch. Small portions for hungry divers. You are doing three dives a day, you are burning up the calories.

"Breakfast Bar?" As shown above consisted of pastries, some fresh fruit, fruit juice, coffee or tea and cold cereal. If it was a real breakfast bar, there'd be eggs, hash browns and sausages. They regulate the food by serving it to you as opposed to just serving it buffet style.

And look at the salads and veg portions on the dinner and lunch plates, very small indeed. And again, small pork chops, etc. No seconds were offered. The one time I asked for more, they made a big stink about it and I had to get a manager. I explained to him that, since I was there solo and paid the BOGO price, I wanted my wife's dinner as well. Except for the fresh fish dishes, the meat and poultry were of very poor quality.

I stand by my trip report. The food was very mediocre, there wasn't enough of it and you have to climb the stair-master of doom to get it.

Happy diving!

I don't really have any complaints about AKR. We've been a couple of times, and we always have a good time. It's just not really our style...whatever that means to anyone. It's more of a "dive tourist" experience than a dive trip to me. Unless you're with a group, the dive boat is assigned and you are with whoever they assign you to be with. The boats are much more crowded and less roomy than we are accustomed to.

The only thing I find very distasteful is having to surface when the rest of my "assigned" dive buddies are ready to surface...after 40 or 50 minutes, the extreme feelings of claustrophobia I experience when I try to get into the locker room to stow my gear, and the NUMEROUS flights of stairs one must negotiate in order to take advantage of the dining opportunities, which I have always found plentiful and tasty.

The very best asset AKR has going for it is the gentleman who picks quests up at the airport. (Is his name Geoffery?) Anyway...we ALWAYS run across him at the airport, and he NEVER forgets us. We always get greetings and big hugs...even when we're not going back to AKR with him. Love that man :)

Funny part is the food was the same this last trip as it was the last time we stayed at AKR, which was 6 or 7 years ago, so the portions are not being adjusted for the BOGO deal.

Cajun - AKR is not our first choice either but this last trip it was hard to pass up the BOGO. Normally we rent a condo and car and do our own thing.

I did a photo workshop at a LDS the other night, and then everyone went out for "Beer and wings" afterwards. I had a beer and a grilled chicken ceasar. The guy beside me had two beers and 4 pounds of wings. The girl across from me had two beers and two pounds. The shop owner (a big/tall guy) spilled one vodka/tonic, drank another and ate eight pounds of wings.

We all went home satisfied, although I suspect my arteries were happier.

As I mentioned earlier, different stokes for different folks. The best vacations happen when "actual" surpasses expectations. When expectations are high, perhaps as the result of overly-enthusiastic marketing practices, then disappointment is likely.

I have spent my non-diving life working in the graphic arts. I remember looking at the AKR brochure years ago, and it was probably the most beautiful resort brochure I had seen... That alone can set high expectations.

Cajun - AKR is not our first choice either but this last trip it was hard to pass up the BOGO. Normally we rent a condo and car and do our own thing.

But when you pay less than the BOGO for better accommodations and better diving, it's a win/win situation. We are quite happy where we have landed...

Well, I will say this....if you go to AKR's web site, it sure looks like a lux resort...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom