AKR Food

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I mentioned in my own trip report, I asked for extra helpings of certain things, and the waiter complied without much hesitation, although I felt I could detect annoyance. HOWEVER, the waiter would always bring an entire extra plate instead of just the extra item I wanted. If I wanted one more dinner roll or just one more lionfish finger, they would bring an entire basket of dinner rolls or an entire main plate complete with side items. At every dinner, my wife and I asked for and received soup AND salad when asked to choose between the two. The fact is that we really enjoy soup and really enjoy salad. If given a choice, we would rather have soup and salad and omit some other item. But few opportunities to choose are offered. Despite these idiosyncrasies of the food service, there was never a need for a manager to interfere. All in all, I was able to eat my fill and was never left hungry.

AKR's breakfast suited me fine. I don't want to fill up on greasy food before I go diving. The fruit at the breakfast bar was great. I ate an egg and a piece of fruit, just as I do at home. But why could they not offer fruit with EVERY meal? Fruit is what we normally eat after dinner.

The differences in people's preferences just shows that a buffet is the best way to go at a dive resort. AKR's table service that offers the guest a rigid choice between two main plates seems to please few guests.

As for the quality of the food, I was actually kind of pleased. Oh, with few exceptions, it is NOT high quality stuff by any means. It's more like what you might get at a low-end chain restaurant like Applebee's or TGI Fridays. But I guess I was pleased nonetheless because I wasn't expecting even low-end chain restaurant-style food on an island off the coast of Honduras. I mean, everything has to be flown in. Given the logistics, I was actually somewhat impressed. And the hydroponic lettuce was as good as we get from our garden at home. To get better food, you would really be talking a very high-end resort. AKR may give a false air of sophistication, but nobody mistakes AKR for the Ritz Carlton.

Keep in mind my comments are getting a little stale, as they are based on a 2013 visit.

Back
Top Bottom