AKR Trip Report 11/14 – 11/21/2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJeffreyM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
No, you’re not seeing double. I was there that same week as Captain Sinbad. I promised a trip report and so here it is.

First, to give you some perspective, my personal dive experiences have covered much of the Caribbean including: The BVIs, USVIs, Grand Cayman, Turks & Caicos, ABC Islands, Mexico (Cancun, Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, & Cozumel). Also Hawaii.

I hold PADI certifications in both Rescue and EAN. I have about 150 lifetime dives. All have been under clear, tropical conditions.

My wife and I are both divers (although I took this trip solo) and we like a bit of luxury when we spend our hard earned cash to go on vacation.

The Captain has already done a fine job discussing the logistics of getting there, the airport, and being “welcomed” to the resort, etc. So I will dispense with that portion and move directly to the accommodations, food, and diving.

Overall, what did I think of AKR and, perhaps more importantly, what will you think of it? The answer is; it depends on what you want out of your dive vacation experience. How much lack of amenities are you willing to put up with? What is your tolerance for “trust me” diving? Can you exist on short rations for a week? What medical risks are you prepared to take? All of these factors come into play at AKR in a beautiful tropical setting.

Dining

First, let’s dispense with the term “All Inclusive.” This is definitely NOT an AI. It’s more like “three hots and a cot.” Your skimpy breakfast lunch and dinner are the only covered food and you can have tea (hot or cold), water or coffee for free. All other beverages and any snacks you may want are extra. I made a note of this when I originally posted regarding AKR before my trip. I brought a whole bunch of extra food with me and needed it.

I actually got into an argument with one of the waiters after I asked for more food at dinner one evening. I was refused and had to get a manager involved before I got what I wanted. I had to ask myself if I was on a vacation, or in a story by Charles Dickens.

I am aware that people have different definitions of “fine dining.” I am from Manhattan so my tastes may gravitate towards the upscale. Aside from a few exceptional fresh fish dishes, the food was pretty bad. It was apparent to me that the beef, pork and chicken served were of poor quality. I was surprised because I’d heard that South and Central America had excellent beef. And one thing I know they do well down there is pork, so again, surprising. This resort obviously cuts corners where it can. I’ve had much better food at true AIs in Mexico and Turks & Caicos. The restaurants in the Caymans and Aruba are world class.

The dining room is entirely open-air with fans above. It was warm there in November but eating outdoors was tolerable for most meals. I think it would be hell to try and eat there for any meal in the summer. I was in Turks and Caicos in mid-August this year and eating outside would have been unthinkable for me.

Also keep in mind that the dining room is at the top of about sixty stairs so be prepared for a good workout at least three times a day. I do recall it being mentioned in my OW class that vigorous exercise after diving is not recommended. Oh well. The front desk is up there too so if you need anything from them it’s another trip up the Stairmaster. Remember…you can’t actually call the front desk. No Phones.

Accomodations

The rooms are Spartan with few of the amenities you might expect even at a Motel 6 or Days Inn. No TV, no phone, no nice bar of soap, no lighted makeup mirror, no unlimited bottles of water, no room service, few towels. The soap, shampoo and body wash that is provided is via a rack with refillable bottles as you might find at a gym. Although the bathroom space was quite large, the shower stall was tiny. There was plenty of hot water.

The maid service was good and timed so that it is done while you are out diving.

Surprisingly, the internet service was pretty great. I had no problem using my iPhone, or laptop. I was able to use both Facetime and Skype to call and video chat with my family. Email was fine and I was even able to listen to Sirius Satellite radio and watch some TV over the internet. No complaints there at all.

It’s been said before, but it bears repeating that not all rooms are air conditioned. I had a Key Deluxe room and along with pretty decent AC, the room had its own private over water porch with hammocks, clothes line and a spectacular view of the dolphin pens on the nearby island. Staying anywhere, at any time of year in the tropics would be unthinkable for me without an air conditioned room, period.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

Water, Water Everywhere….

Let’s take a moment to discuss water…Most divers are aware that hydration is an important factor in the prevention of decompression illness (DCI). When you’re on a dive vacation, you want to drink a lot of water. AKR says their tap water is run through their own treatment facility and is “fine to drink.” However, more than a few people I met told me they were having “issues” with their stomachs. Since I ate the food with no problems, I have to assume it was the water.

I always travel with several types of water purification systems when I leave the US. For this trip I brought my First Need water filter, Camelbak UV purification bottle system, and a simple Hamilton Beach electric boiler pot. I treated or boiled every drop of water I drank there and had no problems with my stomach.

They also expect you to obtain your water from what is essentially the bathroom sink in the room. The same sink where you wash your hands after using the toilet, etc. I found that especially gross, but as I said, I boiled all the water I got from there. I also brought some clean Nalgene bottles with me. After the water cooled in the boiler pot, I put it in the mini fridge to get cold. Oh yeah…there was a mini fridge.

When you’re on a dive trip, you want to drink a lot of water. Frankly, they don’t make it easy.

Consider Your Medical History (Help is So Close, Yet So Far)

The obvious choice place to stay at AKR is on the Key. The Key has the nicer rooms with over-water porches, the pool, bar, etc. And, AKR is the only resort in Roatan with its own complete medical facility (including hyperbaric chamber). However, the Key is an Island and the med center is on the mainland…and there are no phones. There is only a skiff shuttle that runs back and forth between the two.

I would estimate that about twenty-five percent of the people there that week were of retirement age (65) or older. I am 55. I realize that you are taking a risk any time you travel to a third-world destination. But if you were to have a serious medical emergency on the Key, the response time would not be life saving. To the best of my knowledge, there is no Automated External Defibrillator (AED) on the Key. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put one out there.

The Diving

Across the world there exists “concierge diving.” That is where you bring your gear to the dive shop at the start of the trip and they store it for you, wash it and hang it to dry daily, and it shows up on the boat the next day all set up with your tank (unless it’s Nitrox, then you’ll measure it yourself and THEN they’ll set it up for you). AKR is not “concierge diving.”

Now I know what most of you SCUBA Board fanatics are going to say…“no one touches my gear!” But consider this: if someone else sets up your gear and then you check it AND your buddy checks it, then three sets of eyes have looked over your gear, not just one or two. Just sayin’….

Yes, your tanks will be on the boat, but you must haul, set-up, clean and hang your own gear each day. You will be assigned a dive locker. The dive locker is inside a stuffy, smelly building right next to the dock. You will squeeze your gear into a semi open box that is about 18 inches square and about 6 feet tall. Your gear will never dry out in this box. There is no air flow in this building. On your last dive day, make sure to take your gear to an outdoor location and hang it outside so it will be dry enough to pack the next day. My porch did the trick nicely.

The operation is designed primarily to get the maximum number of divers to the dive site at a time. There were 11 divers assigned to my boat and one divemaster. The resort was not full the week I was there so there could have been more. More people on that boat would have been a bit too cattle-like for me. 11 was fine.

The dive plan was the same for each dive: descend near the boat (40fsw), swim over and down to the wall (70-80fsw), swim along the wall, return to the boat, ascend. The plan nearly always called for a 45-50 minute dive.

Now, I learned in my OW class to do the deepest dives first in the day and the deepest part of the dive first on all dives. So after one day of this, I told the DM that I would follow the rest of the group snorkeling on the surface for the 150 or so yards to the wall and descend there. That way I could do the deepest part of the dive first and conserve the air everyone else was wasting on the way to the wall. I would do that dive plan at AKR if I went there again.

As Captain Sinbad mentioned, the vis was not great but the structures were interesting. It was cloudy and rained for some part of nearly each day I was there. Not a big deal really, but if you were looking to take photos using natural light, you would’ve been disappointed. The one surprise for me was the lack of biomass. I’ve seen many more fish and other creatures elsewhere in the Caribbean and with greater diversity. We saw a few turtles, morays, etc. I did not go on the “shark dive” and saw not a single shark or other pelagic species.

One thing I did love about the diving was that you do your surface intervals back at the resort doing whatever you want, rather than just sitting on a boat waiting for the next dive. It also affords you the option of selecting which dives to go on, and which ones to skip. For example, I’m not much of an early riser so I elected to skip most of the 8:30am dives. How civilized to have breakfast at your leisure and still have plenty of time to make the 10:30am dive.

Some Dive Warnings (Trust Me!)

There is a weekly lunch on the south side of the island at a place called Maya Key. I was warned by “Doc” Adelman from Coco View NOT to be a sailor-man and take the ride on the boat. There is a bus available from the resort and it can get quite rough going “around the point,” as it was the day I went. Almost everyone on my boat was at least a bit seasick on this ride (although no one actually heaved). Consider yourself warned. Feeling quite “green around the gills” myself, I hitched a ride back in a car with one of AKRs employees.

There are two wreck dives available each week. I did not go on either. Both wrecks are in 100 – 110fsw. I was told that the inside of one of them “silted up after the group went in.” So you will be going into an overhead environment, at over 100fsw, where the vis could close out, on a single tank. I dunno, you do the math…trust me, you’ll be fine!

There is an available shark dive each week. I don’t actually approve of baited shark dives, so I did not go. Apparently, the location has a lot of current. You must descend on a line to get in behind a rock outcrop (about 70ft down) in order to be sheltered from the current. In the video I saw of this dive there was at least one diver who needed to be grabbed by the tank valve and forced into the correct position next to the rock. It seemed like most of the divers were having trouble maintaining their positions due to the current and surge. There was a chum bucket, it was released, the sharks ate it, end of show.

Here’s a video of the shark dive in question. It was made by the resort. Check out the diver being “helped” at about the 4 minute mark.

https://www.facebook.com/WorldofAziz/videos/10153734302963523/

There were two night dives available. I went on one. The dive site was fairly deep at 65fsw for a night dive. There wasn’t a lot of organization. Most operators hang a high-powered light under the boat for a night dive. AKR hung a far less visible purple glow stick. If you don’t happen to own a dive light, they will happily rent you one for $15US + tax. Every other night dive I’ve ever been on, the light was included. At AKR, the night dive is included, but if you want to see anything…well that’ll be fifteen bucks.

Here are a few odds and ends to consider:

The air intake for AKRs compressor operation is right next to the dock where all the dive boats come in and idle before and after each dive. Now I know there are filters for this, but it does seem somewhat ill advised to place the intake right next to half a dozen chugging diesel engines, don’t you think? If I went back there, I would bring a CO sensor. I did have a headache after one dive.

I listened to all the dive briefs and read all the materials both on line and what was available at the resort. To this day I have no idea if their dive boats are equipped with first aid kits, oxygen, or a radio. I never saw any of those things. No diver recall or emergency plan was ever discussed.

Other than the divemaster doing a quick headcount after each dive, there was no formal roll call or other announced plan to ensure no diver was left behind.

I traveled there as a single diver. Although I was aware of other single divers there that week, no effort was made at any time to pair me up with anyone as a dive buddy. I had to dive solo in a group setting. It was my choice to go ahead and do that, of course. I just tried to stay close to the nearest octo.

Sand Flies

I had heard so much about the marauding sand flies that I came fully loaded for bear. Three cans of Deep Woods Off, one small spray bottle of Ben’s 100% deet and permethrin soaked clothes “guaranteed to stop biting insects.” I used the spray religiously, wore the clothes and got one or two bites the entire time I was there. Yes, the flies were there, I saw them. I wasn’t bothered by them at all.

Biting insects are a real issue on Roatan. The CDC recommends taking anti malarial drugs while there. My doc gave me Malarone which I took as directed. I met an expat on the plane on the way down who told me he’d had malaria twice while living there so I was glad to have taken the pills.

Final Thoughts

A vacation is always what you make of it and, despite the above review, I did have fun at AKR. You can substitute the sport of your choice, but the motto “your worst day diving (skiing, etc.) is still better than your best day at work” holds true for me. I love to dive and dive I did!

However, it begs a larger question. Why do we as divers put up with this level of service and accommodation in the Caribbean when other vacationers demand (and get) better elsewhere? For example, you’ll find wonderful 4 and 5 star hotels and all inclusives all along the Mayan Riviera. But not on Cozumel. Great hotels and food on Aruba, nothing like it on Bonaire.

My wife and I are far from rich, but if your budget for a dive trip is two grand including air, you’re going to stay in a sand fly infested hole with lousy food and dubious dive practices. We have to demand more and spend more to get great service. Or perhaps take up handball instead.

There are 4 – 5 star dive resorts. They are in Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, Tahiti, Fiji, and Hawaii. Why not the Caribbean? Indeed, why not?

I enjoyed your report; thoughtfully critical without being a tirade, with food for thought for people considering a trip there who aren't already fans, weighing it against other options. And I'm glad you told us quite a bit about you, since how you judge is impacted by that. A few thoughts:

1.) With the BOGO special they've had, stands to reason AKR would have to get cost conscious. That said, I'm a big eater and small portions would bother me.

2.) Getting my drinking water from the bathroom sink wouldn't bother me. The bathroom is where most people keep their toothbrush, and they work that around in their mouths once or twice/day.

3.) No t.v. or phone sounds bad at 1st, but I hardly ever turn on a t.v. when I'm at a dive resort, and I carry a cell phone. If there's internet service, the rest doesn't matter so much.

4.) The op. not trying to pair you up with a buddy, especially unrequested, and letting you dive with the group solo & unmolested, would appeal to some people.

5.) Everyone must decide for themselves how much medical service availability they require. Shore diving Bonaire, lots of people accept very little on-site. The elderly, people traveling with small children & those with special health problems may have different wishes.

Richard.

Totally agree with this report on the food part. They could definitely have fed us more.

As for the place being a bit rustic, I don't mind that for the price they offered it for. I am not a luxury oriented person and I tend to enjoy the Tarzan style jungle vacation more than the 5 star hotel type vacation. Keep in mind that one of my most favorite trips was 330 miles inside the Arctic circle where I was living with the Inupiaq and eating raw whale blubber almost every day.

:bananalama:

Last edited:
Captain Sinbad, I think you are missing my point. I'm saying there are those of us who want and expect more than raw whale blubber when diving in the Caribbean and that it is hard to find really good dive resorts there. You and I are not really looking for the same experience. It's apples and oranges.

Two places I forgot to mention in my report that are 4 star resorts, serviced by a first class dive op are Little Dix Bay Resort on Virgin Gorda, and the Scrub Island Resort, both in the BVIs. They are both serviced by Dive BVI! Honestly, they're both pretty pricey places to stay. But it is exactly that high-end experience some of us are looking for.

I suggest you ask your wife, Captain, if she'd prefer to eat raw whale blubber or at a wonderful romantic restaurant in a tropical paradise on her next vacation with you and the family.

I've been to Little Dix. You're not going to find that on Roatan. A closer option would've been Barefoot Cay but not really. It's just a lot nicer than AKR. Roatan Island Resort - Luxury Roatan Resort | Roatan Diving | Barefoot Cay

Nowhere near the beach/bay/service level quality of Little Dix though - or the villas. Nice real valet dive operator - we dropped our gear off in the parking lot and didn't touch it till we left except while using it. Almost on par with DiveBVI who still set the bar IMO.

Maybe Xbalanque in the West End - I haven't been there. A luxury boutique resort in Roatan, Honduras

Last edited:
Some great observations. Thanks for the report. I assume you read mine from a couple of years ago: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...y-resort-akr-trip-report-november-2013-a.html. Some of your observations are in line with mine. However, I drank the tap water--a lot of tap water--and had no stomach issues. The cleanliness of the water may perhaps depend on how they care for the filter system, and so it may be good at times and worse at others--just speculation.

Sorry that it wasn't a more enjoyable trip. That said, the tone of your report makes it sound as if you were surprised on multiple fronts. AKR isn't 4 or 5 star and neither is Roatan for the most part....and there is some amount of self-service involved at most Roatan resorts. Were your expectations set appropriately?

I agree with your point above about Apples & Oranges. I've enjoyed my trips to Roatan precisely because it is more rustic.....and my first trip there was based on rustic, non mega-resort expectations.

I totally agree about the drinking water.

Captain Sinbad, I think you are missing my point. I'm saying there are those of us who want and expect more than raw whale blubber when diving in the Caribbean and that it is hard to find really good dive resorts there. You and I are not really looking for the same experience. It's apples and oranges.

Two places I forgot to mention in my report that are 4 star resorts, serviced by a first class dive op are Little Dix Bay Resort on Virgin Gorda, and the Scrub Island Resort, both in the BVIs. They are both serviced by Dive BVI! Honestly, they're both pretty pricey places to stay. But it is exactly that high-end experience some of us are looking for.

I suggest you ask your wife, Captain, if she'd prefer to eat raw whale blubber or at a wonderful romantic restaurant in a tropical paradise on her next vacation with you and the family.

Sigh ... I know.

Wifey may not enjoy eating whale blubber but she will have a blast at AKR just like the other women who were there. I am actually planning to take her to AKR in 2016 if the Special 2-for-1 is still up.

I do understand your point that some couples may prefer more bang for their buck in terms of room, dining experience and overall pampering. There are many folks here who will be able to chime in and suggest a few places like that in the Caribbean. I will be surprised if they fall in the same price bracket as AKR's two for one pricing though.

. . .
I do understand your point that some couples may prefer more bang for their buck in terms of room, dining experience and overall pampering. . . . .

I think "bang for the buck" hits the nail on the head. As I see it, AKR's advertising portrays an air of sophistication that they fail to deliver. As I said in my review, if they can't prepare steak and lobster adequately, they shouldn't bother with the pretense at all, as it's just a waste of food. I would be much happier with a plentiful buffet of something the kitchen can handle, like spaghetti, than a pseudo-fine-dining experience that fails on all counts--quality, quantity and service. AKR aims too high. They just can't do it for what they charge. CocoView charges more and delivers ... "less"!

... . CocoView charges more and delivers ... "less"!

I think CCV under promises and over delivers. Been to both AKR and CCV (and most others in Roatan). AKR's BOGO notwithstanding, we're paying full price for me and Herself for our annual CCV trip this April.

We do our 27 dives, drink provided purified water, eat like piglets, and then book next year's return to CCV.

Above, the OP references my advice to NOT ride the boat around to the south side. There was some other advice that went unheeded, as well. I am not "from/with" CCV, but after having sampled all the available options, I proudly claim the title "fanboy", this will be our 37th trip since 1984. (Give or take)

Ive been diving recently with AKR and find little issue with their dive op, but everybody needs different things. I had no idea that the food service had deteriorated so badly. Never liked the 68 steps up and down to eat 3x a day, anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom