Alaska diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbubbae

Reaction score
We just returned from an Alaskan cruise. Never expected to dive while on the trip, but saw a paragraph in a tour book describing diving in Ketchikan as outstanding. My son and I gave it a try one afternoon in port and it turned out to be the highlight of the trip. Alaskadeepsix.com had everything we needed and took us out for a great afternoon.
PS: being from Tennessee, I was skeptical about getting cold, but they supplied 6.5 mil wetsuits and we didn't even get chilly.

drbubbae:
We just returned from an Alaskan cruise. Never expected to dive while on the trip, but saw a paragraph in a tour book describing diving in Ketchikan as outstanding. My son and I gave it a try one afternoon in port and it turned out to be the highlight of the trip. Alaskadeepsix.com had everything we needed and took us out for a great afternoon.
PS: being from Tennessee, I was skeptical about getting cold, but they supplied 6.5 mil wetsuits and we didn't even get chilly.

Thanx.
We went on an Alaskan cruise several years ago, and there was no opportuity to dive. My wife talks about doing it again sometime, so I will keep this link for future reference.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was not diving in Ketchikan while there in 97. We had taken our boat up the inside passage and spent several days in K. on the way up and several on the way back but the dive gear just sat there on the back deck.
Stoooopid fuel system problem took up all my time and energy.

R0b:
I got certified in Alaska, middle of winter, during snow storms, it was great. Here is my instructors web site. http://www.divealaska.net/

Rob
LOL - me too.
It was at the boat ramp in Smitty's Cove. I had almost an inch of snow on me while sitting on Scott's tailgate waiting for the barge to finish unloading. At least I stayed warm.

Can you give us more decription about your dives. What was the viz, what did you see etc.

Sitka Diver.... any other sites you can recommend that would show more about the underwater sights of Alaska?

*Scuba*Princess*:
Can you give us more decription about your dives. What was the viz, what did you see etc.

Sitka Diver.... any other sites you can recommend that would show more about the underwater sights of Alaska?
there are many dives to do here wreck cave cavern pinnacle wall bottle or just see all the critters there r here if u come to sitka ill take u diving or show u a good place to go in town viss changes all the time and from place to place mostly 30ft in the winter easy 100ft

We're not in Sitka (yet) but here's a little video from Resurrection Bay and Prince William Sound. I hope it helps give you an ide of what we see.

I dragged my gear along on an Alaska cruise back in 2006 or 2007, and was able to connect with someone for a couple of shore dives during our stop in Ketchikan.
They are still some of my favourite dives ever.
I was struck by the both the variety of life as well as the size of most of it.
If I remember correctly, the water temp was in the mid 50s (July), but that was still warmer than a lot of the Great Lakes diving (Lake Huron, Georgian Bay) that was the basis of most of my diving at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom