Alexander Hotel on Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Article in the Cayman Compass:

https://www.caymancompass.com/2016/01/20/overgrown-alexander-hotel-remains-in-limbo/

Overgrown Alexander Hotel remains in limbo

By James Whittaker -

January 20, 2016

Partially obscured by grass and weeds, its walls crawling with rampant bougainvillea, the vacant Alexander Hotel on Cayman Brac provides a striking counterpoint to the growing sense of optimism surrounding tourism on the island.

The reasons for the continued closure of the hotel are political rather than economic, according to its owner Cleveland Dilbert.

“I am still waiting for the government to give me approval to do the marina,” said Mr. Dilbert, who closed the 31-room property in June 2014, after a protracted standoff over the offensive smell coming from a neighboring saltwater pond.

Realistically, he does not expect the controversial project to be approved by the current government.

“I am hoping that at the next election things will change,” he said. “I can’t reopen it under the current circumstances.”

When Mr. Dilbert closed the hotel, he said he had lost faith that government would “keep its word” and allow him to deal with the smell emanating from a neighborhood pond – a promise he insists was made before the hotel was even built.

His proposed solution involved cutting a channel from the ocean into the pond and transforming it into a marina for visiting yachts. The plan was met with a chorus of opposition and was deemed unfeasible by the Department of Environment.

Mr. Dilbert was asked to fund an environmental impact assessment study on the development but refused, citing the involvement of Department of Environment officials in the environmental impact assessment process as a conflict of interest. He said this week that his position has not changed and he is not considering reopening the hotel.

“My position is that while it is overgrown, and it pains me a lot to see it that way, there is nothing I can do at this point,” he told the Cayman Compass.

“I am still waiting for them to get this harbor thing going.”

He said there were no economic concerns with the venture and the hotel had received glowing tourist reviews, but the visitor experience was spoiled by the smell from the pond.

“People loved the hotel, but it was ruined by the smell. I couldn’t continue to put my name behind it. My pride is too much to be associated with those kind of adverse reviews and reactions.”

Despite the unkempt appearance of the property and the state of the swimming pool, Mr. Dilbert says it is safe and secure. He said the building itself and the rooms are in good condition and he could feasibly reopen within a few weeks.

But he insisted it was not worth spending the money to reopen the property without the pond issue being resolved.

Tourism Minister Moses Kirkconnell, during a trip to the Brac last week for the opening of the newly renovated Cayman Brac Beach Resort, said improvements to that hotel combined with increased airlift to the island showed things were picking up. Asked about the importance of the Alexander Hotel reopening, he said, “It is important generally for us to get more hotel rooms on Cayman Brac. Everything is a chain. Once you see that we are bringing in more people, you will see private investment increase.”

Mr. Kirkconnell said he had not had any new discussions with the Dilbert family over the Alexander Hotel. He said there were government staff on site every day dealing with the smell from the pond: “It is not completely gone, but it is much better than it was.”

He said he felt government was doing its job by improving airlift and creating the environment for development to take place.

"The reasons for the continued closure of the hotel are political rather than economic, according to its owner Cleveland Dilbert."

Uh, yeah. Judging from when this was discussed here in the past, I think some would say 'environmental.' As in his plan would've destroyed the ecosystem of that pond, which evidently some people thought was important enough to preserve.

I don't know whether they were right or not. Or what this guy was promised in advance, when or by who. But as objective journalistic practice goes, I think this piece is lacking, one-sided and serving to push this guy's agenda.

“People loved the hotel, but it was ruined by the smell. I couldn’t continue to put my name behind it. My pride is too much to be associated with those kind of adverse reviews and reactions.”

If he can afford that kind of pride, how much sympathy should most of the rest of us have for him? Honest question.

Richard.

If he can afford that kind of pride, more power to him. :)

That said, one still wonders why he built a nice hotel next to a stinky pond in the first place. And I agree with you about his concept of "environmental".

Yeah, when your plan for the marina starts with taking away the protected status of one of the few remaining animal sanctuaries in the country, I'd say you were not really that worried about environmental damage. His refusal to agree to do an environmental impact study suggests he is well aware of what the conclusion would be. He built a hotel next to an animal sanctuary that stank well before he ever came up with the idea of building his hotel there. I believe his plan all along was to build the hotel there, then use the "nuisance" of the smell impacting his business to get permission to build the marina channel without ever having to do an EIS. Once the government refused and asked him to do the EIS, he was never going to get permission without it.

The Little Cayman Beach Resort is right across the street from the Booby Pond and no one seems to mind very much.
In the summer time when the pond water level is low and the winds are less, it stinks, but so what. I'm sure there would be customers to stay at Alexander hotel if cleaned up.

I believe Mr Dilbert had plans to dredge and build a marina on site from the get go. Glad the CI Government was actually sensible in not letting this occur rather than their usual ecologic decision making which seems to be just based on dollars.

When I was on Brac in 2014, I remember talking to the locals about this property.

The story they related to me was that Dilbert was assured approval for the marina, so he built his hotel based on that. When the time came to actually build it, though, whoever or whatever had given him those assurances were nowhere to be found, leading to the current state of affairs. My guess is he feels the EIS is an extra money grab by the government with no way of knowing how it will play out, given what he's allegedly experienced so far.

For that story, here's a news blurb from 2014:

https://www.caymancompass.com/2014/06/06/alexander-hotel-to-close/

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom