(almost) Incident Analysis in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheeper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Divers - 2 experienced divers with between 200 and 1200 dives. both 50-ish and fairly fit. Special Operations and Public Safety backgrounds.
1 diver with 50 dives, mid-30's, grew up with a dive instructor dad, 250+ ponds and fairly fit.

Dive Plan - shore dive at Wabasso Beach (florida east coast, vero beach). Swim east to reef, drop down proceed north/east for 30 minutes and 2 experienced divers would hunt alternating watching diver #3. after 30 minutes (depending on air), plan was to go south and west back to entry point.

Incident - 7 minutes after dropping in 20' viz, diver #3 moved off. Divers 1 & 2 immediately went in opposite directions and headed to the surface. On the surface, diver #3 was in distress. The BC valve came out of the BC, causing it to flood and drag the diver under. Diver 3 was in panic and starting to thrash and drown. Diver 1&2 inflated their BCs, grabbed diver # 3 securly and proceeded to swim assist him back to shore while attempting to calm him. Once he had his feet under him in shallow water diver 3 calmed down though had ingested a good amount of salt water. We hydrated him, rested him and returned him home.

Analysis - the gear diver 3 used was recently serviced and checks. examination of the BC seems to indicate that when dumping air, diver 3 rotated the valve to the point that it unscrewed from the BC. When the BC filled with water, diver 3 went into complete panic mode. If diver 3 had remembered his training, all could have been resolved and even the BC fixed without aborting the dive.
This incident happened in 14 feet of water. All diver 3 really had to do was signal diver 1 and/or 2 and stay on the bottom, keep breathing and swim west to shore where within 250 feet he could have stood up.

lesson learned here are:
1) become familiar with borrowed or rental gear before you use it
2) keep your head and remember your training
3) dive with solid dive buddies

The BC valve came out of the BC, causing it to flood and drag the diver under. ...... examination of the BC seems to indicate that when dumping air, diver 3 rotated the valve to the point that it unscrewed from the BC.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how this occurs. What valve gets rotated when you dump air? Maybe I just need to look at a BC next time I go diving.

lesson learned here are:
2) keep your head and remember your training

What is the training you are referring to here? Is this part of the OW training?

I'm a fairly new diver so please excuse the basic questions. I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks,

Bill

What is the training you are referring to here? Is this part of the OW training?

I'm a fairly new diver so please excuse the basic questions. I'm just trying to learn.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Diving is kinda like flying.........when something happens in an aircraft (cockpit), the very FIRST thing to do is ----- FLY THE AIRCRAFT......then you can start going through checklists.

When diving and something happens, the first thing to do is BREATHE (if able). Considering this happened in 14' of water, 1) breathe, 2) identify the problem, 3) breathe, 4) correct the problem, and finally 5) breathe. If you re-read the post - "Diver 3 was in panic and starting to thrash and drown." Panic, whether amongst divers or pilots, can result in death. Breathing (slow) can help blunt the effect of adrenaline ("fight-flight-freeze") dump that may occur under stress.

Keep asking questions and enjoy your diving!! (Did I mention to BREATHE??)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom