Alor Exploration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to go on liveaboard crossing from Maumere to Kaimana, through Alor, Manuk, Banda & Saumlaki, perhaps in 2018 or later. Has anyone ever done it? If yes, how many days would it take? When would it be the right month to go?

I want to dive in the Current Alley in Alor. I was in Alor once and missed the Current Alley last time. To get down there, we had to do a negative entry against a strong up current. I had a hard time getting down while carrying big camera (1st timer). My skill for doing such entry has improved since then after practicing to get down into the Channel in Maratua Atoll a few times.

Another place that I also would like to dive is the Manuk island where you would see tons of sea kraits (snakes).

If I were going to spend more time somewhere in between Raja and Komodo, it would be the Forgotten Islands for now, until the hype dies down. While I have no problem with, "hey, let's try diving over there" and other riskier dive locations (e.g. green water, low vis in Triton Bay), a boat operator has to factor it in. If and when you get to the point of an established customer base, then it gets a little easier to market those trips that aren't the same-old same-old.
I think they would if they could but that crossing can be pretty treacherous most times of the year. I know some boats who aren't even crossing with passengers or are just doing it in sections now. More South Forgotten and then Banda with Triton or Raja etc.

I am heading to a back to back Komodo then Alor trip in 2 weeks I can give a report on both and let you know how it was. I just read on another thread that Komodo is more packed then ever with lobs and day boats so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Komodo off season may become a hot commodity.

@Dan_T Manuk is really awesome!! I have gone from Maumere to Ambon which took about 11 days. It would probably be similar but not sure if boats will go to Triton when coming from the South. I think they will probably come from Raja or Ambon. I don't know for sure though.

Reactions: Dan
@Dan_T Manuk is really awesome!! I have gone from Maumere to Ambon which took about 11 days. It would probably be similar but not sure if boats will go to Triton when coming from the South. I think they will probably come from Raja or Ambon. I don't know for sure though.

Thanks for the info. So, it sounds like I may have to take 2 trips, (1) from Maumere to Ambon & (2) from Ambon to Triton Bay like offered here:
Ambon Kaimana from 12 to 24 Nov 2016 ...20% discount ( save 770 $$ )

Just browsed on Ambai website:
Schedule & Rates Ambai | Indonesia Liveaboard Diving - Wallacea Dive Cruise

& saw this:
A161025 : MAUMERE-AMBON
Start:25 Oct 2016
Finish:08 Nov 2016
14 Nights

A161112: AMBON-KAIMANA
Start:12 Nov 2016
Finish:24 Nov 2016
12 Nights

Assuming 2018 schedule is similar to 2016, we are talking about a whole month of liveaboard with 4 days land break in Ambon, where you could do some diving there too, I assume. Man, that's way too long of a trip.

Perhaps Calico Jack Liveaboard can do better than Ambai, going straight from Maumere to Triton Bay? If that's possible, I can discuss such trip with my local dive club & charter your liveaboard.

Komodo off season may become a hot commodity.

I've only done Komodo in Nov and Jan.
In Nov most the boats have moved on to Raja. It's not crowded in either month.
I'll probably go back this Nov.

Enjoy your upcoming trip, I can't get away till November I'm jealous. I'm making up for it though, I just upgraded to a Canon SL-1, I'll try and get to know it inside and out.
Speaking of photography you have some really nice shots in your portfolio.
so at least I have a new

I am doing a Ambon to Triton in late Oct., I will let you know how it is for sure! You might just have to plan more than one trip!!!:wink::yeahbaby:

I hope you see tons of hammerheads in Banda sea.

I hope you see tons of hammerheads in Banda sea.
Me too!!! I have seen them but have been very unsuccessful getting pictures. Last year in Banda we saw them but too deep. I usually have my macro lens on or I just get so happy to see them I forget to take pics! My first great opportunity to get a good picture happened in Tubbataha this year. We had a curious one approach us very close. Just as I was getting ready to snap, a fellow diver swam right in front of me and chased them off. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom