American fatality in Bermuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And buddy should have had a cutting tool out and at the ready. This should have been nothing more than a "Lost lift bag in Bermuda" thread in the Lost-and-Found sub forum...

I am hesitant to judge the buddy.

Quite possible the buddy was only able to grab the feet and could not reach the line. Also not sure how much video equipment buddy had with him but that can slow the buddy's reaction time.

Apparently there was no anchor line to ascend in which case shooting a bag/smb is common practice in many areas so that the boat knows where you are.

I'm with Colliam. I assume they planned this, and a dive to 200 feet for 20 minutes or so would entail somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 minutes of deco between 70 feet and the surface, and that's assuming the deco is being done on 50%. So going to the surface from 50 feet would be blowing off a very large amount of decompression. If it happened to me, I think I would try to return to the water and do the omitted deco, assuming I was asymptomatic on the surface.

Bags of any kind are a hazard, and it's really important to have good and consistent and careful technique in shooting them. There is a thread here on SB recounting the story of Rick Inman getting the clip from his long hose caught in the line from his lift bag, and getting a ride to the surface. It happens. And this is also a very good argument for not spending your buddy's bag shoot futzing with your camera or watching your underwater video gadget or anything else -- when someone is doing something, whether it's shooting a bag or switching gases or moving bottles, the buddy should be watching carefully and thinking about what the likely problems are, and what the signs of something about to go wrong would be. This is one of the reasons I DO like doing deco in a horizontal position, because if I got caught in my bag line, I could kick toward my buddy and he's in a position to move instantly toward me.

And just because I'm a physician and a bit anal, it's not a pulmonary embolism we're talking about as a possibility here. Pulmonary emboli are clots or bubbles in the lungs; what kills people from rapid ascents is air embolism, which is air in the arteries that goes to the brain or spinal cord. This patient might have had chokes, which is a form of DCS where the bubbles in the pulmonary circulation overwhelm the lung's ability to filter them, but that still isn't termed pulmonary embolism.

. If it happened to me, I think I would try to return to the water and do the omitted deco, assuming I was asymptomatic on the surface. <clip> what kills people from rapid ascents is air embolism, which is air in the arteries that goes to the brain or spinal cord. This patient might have had chokes, which is a form of DCS where the bubbles in the pulmonary circulation overwhelm the lung's ability to filter them, but that still isn't termed pulmonary embolism.

Lynne, if you miss a stop, are asymptomatic on the surface and re-descend, could a problem like air embolism or pulmonary embolism be started already without symptoms? Therefore you should descend only if there was a buddy who was prepared to watch you closely?

Yes -- that is the controversial thing about omitted deco or in-water recompression. If you are symptomatic at the surface, you shouldn't try to go back down unless it's really the only option you have (diving in very remote areas). If you are asymptomatic, a lot of systems recommend descending to do your omitted deco. But as this story illustrates, you run a huge risk if you do this without some kind of tender.

I would not be surprised if he was on a rebreather. Graham typically dives one as do his cameramen.

I am hesitant to judge the buddy.

Quite possible the buddy was only able to grab the feet and could not reach the line. Also not sure how much video equipment buddy had with him but that can slow the buddy's reaction time.

Apparently there was no anchor line to ascend in which case shooting a bag/smb is common practice in many areas so that the boat knows where you are.

I was trained that when it's time to shoot a bag, one buddy readies the bag... and the other gets a cutting tool out. When the buddy with the cutting tool is ready, the buddy shooting the bag proceeds. That way, if there's trouble there is no "reaction time" needed other than to cut the line.

I was trained that when it's time to shoot a bag, one buddy readies the bag... and the other gets a cutting tool out. When the buddy with the cutting tool is ready, the buddy shooting the bag proceeds. That way, if there's trouble there is no "reaction time" needed other than to cut the line.

That's not generally taught, though it is perhaps a good idea. But there's more than "reaction time" involved - suitable positioning in the water is critical, as is weighting for each person. In cold water dry suit familiarity is also very important.

That's not generally taught, though it is perhaps a good idea. But there's more than "reaction time" involved - suitable positioning in the water is critical, as is weighting for each person. In cold water dry suit familiarity is also very important.

All that covered in tech training as well. As Lynn points out, there are certain times in a dive - especially an expedition-level tech dive - where exquisite buddy focus and positioning is mandatory. This was one of them. While unfortunate, from an accident analysis standpoint it needs to be addressed.

Back
Top Bottom