Another Raja Ampat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n9643750

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks!

Thinking of an impromptu trip to Raja Ampat in March. It seems like a liveaboard is the way to go to get the most out of the trip, but I am open to other, land based accomadations. I'd like to spend around ten days out there. My question is basically where to stay. After reading the other liveaboard thread, it seems that there are many luxury options, but is there anything more budget friendly? The mermaid 2 would be at the top of my range, and still looks a bit more luxurious than what I would require. That said, I am willing to pay for good dive guides, and I do not want to be smelling diesel fumes the whole trip. I looked at wicked divers, but they seem a bit sketchy to me. Can anyone recommend an in between option?

There can never be too many Raja Ampat threads. :) I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on more moderately priced but decent lob in this area. Many of us would like such a thing but I wonder if there were such, would there be too many boats and divers plying the area?

Read bill4tj's recent threads about Raja. There were some ideas in there for land but I'm not sure about pricing because I'm all about the liveaboard in this vast area.

I recieved an email offer yesterday for Pearl of Papua. It was ridiculously inexpensive. I'd hesitated to mention it because I don't know the boat but have a feeling I'd read negatives somewhere. Now since I've brought it up anyway, is anyone here able to tell OP whether or not PoP would be up his alley?

Here's bargain basement, experienced operator with multiple boats. Usually with a very experienced crew.

http://www.komodoalordive.com/schedule/scheduleBooking.php

Other budget boats include the Shakti. Not luxury, but not super budget, check the Tambora. Also, the Seahorse.

I have done two trips on Tambora and booking another - top notch operation. Highly recommended.

In regards to the Pearl of Papua, I did a 11 day trip on it in November. The cruise director was great, informative,been diving the area for a while but he may be leaving the boat for another one. The rest of the crew was good, guides were good spotters and did an excellent job of keeping track of the groups,which was difficult as we had a diver that would just swim off on his own, one of the other guides had to do quite a bit of handhold in with less experienced divers in tow. The food was good varied and plentyful, the dinning area is a bit cramped. The boat is well worn and we had no breakdowns. The only problem I had was with the bathroom, ether by design or malfunction the water waste system backs up from the drain in thr floor and floods the floor, which isn't sanitary to say the least.

Last edited:
Ewwww . . .that might be what I'd read that turned me off.

Here is a list of all the LOB's in RA. http://birdsheadseascape.com/liveaboards/
You can click through them and see if you can spot the cheaper ones.
A little hint, if they do not list their rates, then they are not cheap! ha ha
Man some of these boats look unbelievable, but you need to be a movie star to afford them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom