Another take on reef hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hooks that are commonly used around here are mostly made of 5/16" SS rod bent and welded at the eye and along the shank if there are multiple hooks (there are single, double and triple ones). You are not supposed to hook into coral with them, they're for hooking into rock, and are mostly used to hook off the flag and float when you are drift diving, not a human being.

Rooster:
Don't remember the name of the knot I use, boy scouts was way too many years ago, but it's the one where the fox come out of the hole, goes around the tree and back down the hole. :wink:
Rooster

That would be a bowline. When I taught knots and lashings at Boy Scout camp, we used a rabbit, though.

Can someone put a link or a picture up of one of these so I can see what one of these is?

vjongene:
The lesson to be learned from this, if any, is that it is NOT a good idea to have a group in which some members have reef hooks and others don't. I can see why one may want to carry them (I am not planning to, though), but then everyone should agree to use them, or the group should be split. One more thing to ask prospective buddies: do you carry a reef hook? If you do, I'd rather not dive with you...

I dont see why you are not planning to use one, when you saw first hand how the two ladies conserved air and got to see more of the dive, sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. In the right conditions and used properly reef hooks can be an excellent tool. I have had a few dives where i wished others had them so we could all stop and watch the show.

The idea of a big group staying together in fast currents is impractical anyway whether someone hooked on or not. you should be prepared to make your own dive and if someone does this again be prepared to carry on with your buddy.

For those who havent seen the link, it is simply a big fish hook with the tip blunted and the barb removed, tie this to one end of 1.5M of para cord and the other end to a clip which goes onto a d ring on your bcd. I usually stow the excess line using something which i think is called a dutch knot or platt, which unravels easily. Unhooking is not normally a problem providing you place it well in the first place. Worst case i had involved having to fin to help climb back down the line to unhook. In an emergency I could always cut the line away.

I've used one a couple of times, very useful. I wouldn't want one with a clip / bolt snap on the end though. The last thing I want is to clip myself onto that hook if the current is running very hard. Something happens, someone panics, i just want to be able to let go - not to have to fight against a current to unhook or rely on getting my knife out and cutting through that big line. The one I used had a handle on it to hold, if I needed to get out of there quick for any reason all I had to do was drop it, no thinking or effort involved. Much safer in my mind.

Albion:
I dont see why you are not planning to use one, when you saw first hand how the two ladies conserved air and got to see more of the dive, sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. In the right conditions and used properly reef hooks can be an excellent tool. I have had a few dives where i wished others had them so we could all stop and watch the show.
Yeah, maybe some sour grapes... I am not sure if the ladies were conserving air (I wasn't stressed, just p****d off), but they sure got the better end of it!

3dent:
That would be a bowline. When I taught knots and lashings at Boy Scout camp, we used a rabbit, though.
Yup that's the one. I knew it was some type of furry animal :eyebrow:
The knot works well, I have never had one come lose even in a strong current.
Rooster

junior diver:
Can someone put a link or a picture up of one of these so I can see what one of these is?
Here's a couple of pics of one of the ones I made. Un-coiled it is just under 4 feet long. The second pic shows how I chain the cord so it doesn't get tangled up in my BC pocket. I carry a housed camera so everything has to be done with one hand. I can pull it out of my BC pocket, un-chain it, hook in, and clip it to my BC with one hand. Even in a ripping current I can pull forward and un-hook with one hand. I could also un-clip it from my BC with one hand if I had to by feel.

OOps I thought I could attach photos here.
Go here to see photos of my reef hook: Reef Hook Pics

Rooster, Like the bowlines on both ends of your reef hooks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom