Anthony's Key Trip Report 4/16/16 - 4/23/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So last week we had a group of 15 staying at Anthony's Key Resort. Here's my take.

Airport

We had no real problems at the airport. I will say the processing of folks when arriving and departing is a bit on the slow side (mostly departing is slow) but I kinda expect that in many Caribbean locations. Once we processed through customs and got our luggage there was staff from AK outside with a big sign. You can't miss them. They put us on an air conditioned van and the luggage went into another van and off we went for about a 15 to 20 minute ride to the resort. Overall the airport experience wasn't too bad but don't be in a hurry when leaving because processing back out is a lot slower.

Resort Arrival

They have a fairly brief orientation when you arrive and they give you a rum punch to sip on. If you have already filled out your paperwork before you arrive you won't have much to do. They basically tell you about meal times, where to find everything, and give you your room keys. By the time I arrived out on the key my bag was waiting and they carried it to my room.

Rooms

We stayed in the Deluxe rooms on the Key which are their nicest/largest rooms and are over the water. The room was very large with both a king bed and a double bed. Bathroom was large with plenty of hot water all week. Air conditioner worked very well. Great views out four different windows. These rooms have a large private porch with hammocks and a table with two chairs. Overall these are some of the nicest rooms I have stayed in at any resort. Can't really comment on any of the other room types as all of our group had these rooms. After staying in these, not sure I'd want to stay in anything else.

Food

We all thought the food was excellent. It exceeded our expectations. For breakfast they offered a buffet bar with fruit, cereal, juice, coffee, and various pastries. Then you could order off the menu as well. They had pancakes, omelettes, eggs, sausage, French toast, etc.

For lunch we were usually given three choices to pick from. You usually started with a soup or salad or both if you wanted it and then some sort of fish, chicken, or something else. It was always good.

For dinner again you had at least three choices to pick from. I can tell you they really do a great job with all their fish dishes. For both lunch and dinner you get a dessert. The desserts are simple but tasty.

I thought the portions were more than reasonable and like I said, there were absolutely no complaints from anyone in our group with the food.

Diving

Our group was assigned our own dive boat as we had 13 divers in the group. We had John as our DM and Leo was our boat captain. These two guys were excellent. John doesn't baby sit you once he sees you know how to dive. He does keep a watch to make sure divers are staying off the reefs and if he sees you on the reef, he will give you the sign to come up a little. All the divers are assigned a dive locker and at the end of the dive day you rinse your gear and put it away in your locker. Easy enough and your lockers have a lock and you get the key. I never hesitated to leave all my stuff in there from day to day.

The diving itself was better than I remember. In the past I had been and not seen any turtles or "big stuff". This trip we were seeing turtles on almost every dive. Saw so many big green moray eels that seeing another one was no big deal. We found three frogfish for the week and saw an eagle ray on two different dives. One site in particular was called Pablo's Place and it is as nice a reef in the Caribbean as I have ever been on. Just and incredible dive site. The diving far exceeded our expectations for the week.

I wouldn't hesitate to return to Anthony's Key and Roatan. All in all our group had a great experience.

. . .
Our group was assigned our own dive boat as we had 13 divers in the group. . . .
The diving itself was better than I remember. In the past I had been and not seen any turtles or "big stuff". This trip we were seeing turtles on almost every dive. Saw so many big green moray eels that seeing another one was no big deal. We found three frogfish for the week and saw an eagle ray on two different dives. One site in particular was called Pablo's Place and it is as nice a reef in the Caribbean as I have ever been on. Just and incredible dive site. The diving far exceeded our expectations for the week. . . .

I think having one's own group is a key to success. My wife and I were assigned to a boat with a large family, and the DM seemed to cater to what they wanted. They were speed demons, not to mention reef destroyers, and we would never have had time to slow down and find something like a frogfish without losing the group.

I agree. That's why we like traveling as a group and having our own boat. I always charter the entire liveaboard when we do those and I like getting enough folks together to have our own boat on a land based trip.

Nice report - glad your group enjoyed it.

Lorenzoid - you can always ask to be moved to a different boat and they will. Also, when we arrive at AKR and check in with the dive shop we request to be placed with more advanced divers and not beginners.

Wonder what Palbo's Place was called in the 90's??......:)......Were you on the north side or the west end??....

We stayed at Anthony's Key and pretty much dove the north side but did make it around the corner to Pablo's Place.

We stayed at Anthony's Key and pretty much dove the north side but did make it around the corner to Pablo's Place.

Beyond Half Moon Bay??....ie beyond old Seuno's place??.....

I was wondering if Pablo's Place was a name that just the folks at AK used but I did a search on Roatan dive sites and it appeared on several other dive site maps. It was just around the point. We actually dropped in and drifted down to the point before getting picked up.

It was truly a spectacular site.

Lorenzoid - you can always ask to be moved to a different boat and they will. Also, when we arrive at AKR and check in with the dive shop we request to be placed with more advanced divers and not beginners.

That trip definitely made us aware that on future trips we should consider asking. We're humble people and don't really think of ourselves as advanced divers. Yet compared with some of the divers we have observed at resorts like AKR, I guess we are advanced.

I was wondering if Pablo's Place was a name that just the folks at AK used but I did a search on Roatan dive sites and it appeared on several other dive site maps. It was just around the point. We actually dropped in and drifted down to the point before getting picked up.

It was truly a spectacular site.

My experience from there(owned a house on the water ~1.5 miles east of AKR for 14 years, 1994 thru '08---AND--one of sons worked in the photoshop of AKR for almost 2 years, ~'99 till '01)) is they do name some of them for their place(dive Op)...Old traditional ones like Mary's Place, Overheat Reef, Bear's Den, Hole in the Wall, Canyon Reef, Divemaster's Choice etc etc will be called the same by same name by all dive Ops----but some do have their 'own' names.....ie-----I've never heard of Palbo's Place--but it's been a while(~ '07) since I've been back & dived the island.....:(

EDIT...:.....In fact, our son named Turtle Crossing just south of the original Sueno building(over the water) off West End......Named it before he worked @ AKR when he was working as an instructor/DM for Ray @ Sueno del Mar..

http://www.travel-to-honduras.com/images/roatan-dive-site-map.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom