Any benefit to Master Scuba Diver certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure you can guess. Heck I have PDIC, NAUI, PADI and SSI in my back pocket.:confused: Actually I don't go around with all of them in my pocket but I hope you get my point.
Sure, but if you look at his profile ... *HE* doesn't hold all those things.

NAUI Master Diver is actually somewhat useful. You learn a lot more about diver physiology.

After it, you pursue NTEC + Normoxic Helium

A few posts have differentiated between PADI and NAUI - I agree with them. You are a PADI diver (based on your profile). You can collect a few "specialties" and pay your fee to get your Master Diver certification if you wish. NAUI will require a course where you learn more about dive physiology, equipment design, etc., so you will understand diving better. To be a truly better diver I'd recommend an intro course to cave diving (called cavern diving) from the NSS or NACD. Or GUE Fundamentals. Or other intro to tech courses that I am not aware of. In summary: PADI MD is (in my opinion) a waste of time. NAUI MD teaches you more about diving. The other courses that I mentioned make you a better diver.

When I worked on a fishing boat it was better the be referred to as the Master Diver instead of the Master Baiter. Either way, my wife still won't call me master.

I think the PADI master diver card might be a waste of money, but the requirements to get it can be well worth it.
You can save a few bucks by just doing the specialties you want and not pay the additional fee for the "Ive got 5 specialties" card..

.... but a card saying you took a bunch of classes won't get you on a boat for a dive.

Actually, there is a shop here that when they reserve a charter to specific sites, they limit to master divers only.....

As to the benefit - I have found it (NAUI) of value.

Actually, there is a shop here that when they reserve a charter to specific sites, they limit to master divers only.....

As to the benefit - I have found it (NAUI) of value.

What???? I don't understand. So if a diver has hundreds of dives and training but no "PADI MD Card" they won't let him/her on the boat? But if you have less than 100 dives and have a bogus MD Card they will? Or are you talking about a NAUI MD card? Either way, it sounds self-serving to me - like the Dive Shop is trying to get people to sign up/pay for some classes. I've got enough training and experience to get a Bogus Card but I'm not going to reward PADI with unearned money, let alone some Dive Shop who is going to judge (extort) someone on how much money they spent, rather than the skill and experience of the diver! I understand the need for nitrox classes and even some level of "tec" and obviously cave/wreck cert - but "Master Diver"? Give me a break. :(
:confused:

Be careful promoting yourself around scuba peers as a Master Scuba Diver, the illusion hear is that you have a higher skill set than you might have or that you are a Dive Master. Either way, others may be banking on you for their safety or expect you to teach them a way/trick to achieve perfect bouyancy (or some other skill). I would use the money toward another class, piece of equipment or towards my next dive adventure.

The Naui Master Diver book is a good read if one wants to do some revision. I think if you can pass the exam, the real world meaning is that you have mastered your past advanced open water recreational diving material.
No harm in continuing one's education.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom