Any comments on the ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Floating PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
This seems to be a good deal: $200 after rebate, free shipping: ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Personal Locator Beacon $200 for 5 years. If I ever had to use it, probably replace it for about as cheap as battery service, and in 5 years I'm sure there will be better options then.

I might rent the canister from Outdoor Equipment Rentals for diving. Mostly I think I'll carry it on all adventures. I think I may order it Monday so I can have it for this weekend's trip. We've been known to hike far off of trails. Matthew Greene, Teacher From Pennsylvania, Vanishes In California Wilderness

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 02:47 PM ----------

Okaaaay, well - I went ahead and ordered it. Want to get it by Thursday so I can register it for this weekend's outing. We'll see how waterproof it is as my kayaking leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Ok, got it in, registered with NOAA, rebate form completed & printed, envelope ready to go - Certified. I know they like to find a way to ignore those rebates so I want to be able to prove they got the request. And I will start calling them in a month...!!

FREE EMERGENCY REPLACEMENT! I thought I'd have to pay to replace if I ever had to use it since it's a one-time battery that costs almost as much as a new unit. Nope - free replacement if I'll post my emergency story on manufacture site.

....does it include an integrated CO tester ?

No, why? Were you attempting humor...? :silly:

Well, you are kinda gadget happy with the "safety" toys. I'm betting between your O2, CO, PLB and whatever other toys you have you've probably spent $1000 on safety for things that are pretty rare events.

I know you also follow all the A&I events around the world and I'm not saying your choices are bad choices. I'd be the first to be saying "f*** I should have listened to DandyDon" but from a real world perspective one has to wonder the practicality of having all this stuff for recreational diving.

You've clearly made your choice and I respect you for it.

Well, the PLB was purchased more for our inland adventures. Some of our family hikes have been so far off the trail, if one of us had to go for help - there is no guarantee that person could find the injured party again. Wild West Texas and beyond.

Taking the PLB to Lake Mineral Wells this weekend, but it probably has good cell coverage, and my phone is waterproof to 3 ft anyway. Still, for $200, I'd say it's a good deal for any outdoors person. How often do lost hikers and others make the news...?

Well, you are kinda gadget happy with the "safety" toys. I'm betting between your O2, CO, PLB and whatever other toys you have you've probably spent $1000 on safety for things that are pretty rare events.

I know you also follow all the A&I events around the world and I'm not saying your choices are bad choices. I'd be the first to be saying "f*** I should have listened to DandyDon" but from a real world perspective one has to wonder the practicality of having all this stuff for recreational diving.

You've clearly made your choice and I respect you for it.

umm, not to be too hard on Don, I'm pretty sure I've loaded up on rather more 'safety toys' than he has...except for a CO detector that is. As you say, it makes me happy/more relaxed, especially when diving WAY out in the open ocean on a liveaboard in the middle of nowhere!

I actually contemplated renting some personal locator device for my upcoming BlackBeard's trip but to be honest there were so many models to choose from that I didn't know what would actually work. I just don't know enough about them.

I remember a panga boat sinking on a Cozumel channel crossing. They barely got one phone call made, but still hard to find them. I bet they'd love to have had some of these. Same for so many missing hikers.
I actually contemplated renting some personal locator device for my upcoming BlackBeard's trip but to be honest there were so many models to choose from that I didn't know what would actually work. I just don't know enough about them.
Call him and ask: GoPro Rental| Avalanche Safety Rental | PLB & EPIRB Rental

Well, you can have millions of divers spend $200 on beacons or you can get thousands of boats to implement better accountability systems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom