Any comments on the ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Floating PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That note that it will fit in a BC pocket is just a mistake. He really should remove that. I used a key-ring to attach it to a bolt clip, then to a D-ring. A little buoyant, but that's good too. You'd hate for it to sink if you fumbled on the surface. If you do an empty test, stick a small weight inside.
How often does it say to lube the ring(s)?
The claim of "Zero maintenance required" is a little misleading, as you do want to lube the 0-ring with silicone grease. It's not a big deal if it leaks some as the PLB is water resistant to several feet, but still.

"Topside carry pouch included." A nice extra, but don't use it in the water.

Guess we'll see how long it takes to get across the big pond. Delivery estimate is anywhere from about a week to a month.

I couldn't trust that black canister, much as I'd like to have a depth-proof container for a PLB. If anyone remembers when Ikelite was the only player in the underwater camera housing business, there's a reason they used CLEAR PLEXIGLASS. All seals eventually leak, and every time you open them you increase the chance of leaking from a pinch or a bit of grit or plain wear. Having a CLEAR case makes it easy to monitor whether any water has gotten inside, without continually disturbing the seal. Or, hoping it hasn't flooded while you were on a dive.

Just talking to a USCG SAR guy about this last week. He figures it is hopeless, no one in the EPIRB business is interested in a niche market, and the folks who are interested in niche markets, just don't seem to get it.

I couldn't trust that black canister, much as I'd like to have a depth-proof container for a PLB. If anyone remembers when Ikelite was the only player in the underwater camera housing business, there's a reason they used CLEAR PLEXIGLASS. All seals eventually leak, and every time you open them you increase the chance of leaking from a pinch or a bit of grit or plain wear. Having a CLEAR case makes it easy to monitor whether any water has gotten inside, without continually disturbing the seal. Or, hoping it hasn't flooded while you were on a dive.

Just to interject a little into this, keep in mind the PLB is waterproof to shallow depth, if some water gets into the canister it isn't going to hurt the PLB.

A good point. So, I should just shake the container to see if there's only a little weepage in it? (G)

What would be the need to monitor it if there was? The PLB is waterproof to shallow depth, if some water gets into the canister it isn't going to hurt the PLB.

Just talking to a USCG SAR guy about this last week. He figures it is hopeless, no one in the EPIRB business is interested in a niche market, and the folks who are interested in niche markets, just don't seem to get it.
That's why every year for the past ten years I've always removed and replaced the o-rings on my Fastfind PLB dive canister (and it has never flooded or shown any sign of salt water intrusion):

O-rings replacement info for the McMurdo Aluminum Dive Canister: 2mm Cross-Section (cs) by 82mm Inner-Diameter (id); and 3mm cs by 78mm id.
http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/down...-Dive-Container-Instruction-Sheet.pdf?did=371

Metric O-rings - Buna-N - Nitrile - Viton - FKM - All Orings Online

What would be the need to monitor it if there was? The PLB is waterproof to shallow depth, if some water gets into the canister it isn't going to hurt the PLB.

I agree with this, and as long as the canister is maintained properly, it seems like it would work to protect the PLB from being flooded. I wonder if adding some vermiculite or other similar absorbent (used for shipping liquids) to the canister would also minimize the possibility that the PLB would be subjected to significant water flooding if the canister leaked at depth? Or even placing the PLB in a ziplock bag inside the container could help minimize the risk?

You obviously can do whatever makes your comfortable, personally I've got 5 years and over a few hundred dives on my canisters without any problems so I don't lose any sleep over them with back-up plans, they do what they are supposed to do and like I said the PLB is waterproof to shallow depth, if some water gets into the canister it isn't going to hurt the PLB.

Despite the size of the ones you guys have which aren't very streamlined, at least you could fit an energy bar and perhaps even a caprisun or some other flexible drink. Having just heard a first hand account of a 5 hour drift, one of the things that stood out from the story was the dying of thirst. With every hour I imagine it gets worse and worse as you continue to take in saltwater and throw up.

Humans can survive 3-5 weeks without food and 2-3 days without hydration, the PLB is there to get you out of the situation quickly so you aren't faced with dehydration and death.

Back
Top Bottom