Any comments on the ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Floating PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lubed the o-ring, stuck the PLB in, closed it, and did 10 dives in Cozumel last month. When I opened it, I did not notice any water. You may well want to talk to whomever sold it to you.

Thanks. When you put the two halves together, does the O-ring go inside the second half or does it stay on the outside compressed between the two halves? My O-ring fits inside (snugly, but inside) the second half, so I'm wondering if that's not what is supposed to happen. It's almost as if the O-ring is slightly too small.

Thanks. When you put the two halves together, does the O-ring go inside the second half or does it stay on the outside compressed between the two halves? My O-ring fits inside (snugly, but inside) the second half, so I'm wondering if that's not what is supposed to happen. It's almost as if the O-ring is slightly too small.
I am not certain what you mean there, but I will explain and show what I have. The o-ring is on the smaller section, next to the wide lip, and it goes inside the larger section...

upload_2016-9-7_12-19-22.jpeg

I am not certain what you mean there, but I will explain and show what I have. The o-ring is on the smaller section, next to the wide lip, and it goes inside the larger section...

Okay, yep, that's what mine does. Like I said, I'm wondering if it was just condensation in mine given the dramatic difference in air vs water temperature? I'm going to dive with it again next weekend for one last check...after that, I may have to switch to something else (unless the eBay Aussie guy gets back to me).

Okay, yep, that's what mine does. Like I said, I'm wondering if it was just condensation in mine given the dramatic difference in air vs water temperature? I'm going to dive with it again next weekend for one last check...after that, I may have to switch to something else (unless the eBay Aussie guy gets back to me).
1: Try diving with it empty, to see just how much water gets in. Measure that.

2: Try contracting the seller at HDVSEATEK@GMAIL.COM
He does reply to mail eventually, between trips.

This is a better quality canister. If you put 2 SS band clamps on a piece of webbing it can ride immediately behind a canister light on a BP/W.
Fastfind Dive Canister
Old 4.5Ah light canisters are also great if you make a new lid.

I have a comparable PVC canister, I have the epirb, a tiny "splashproof" marine VHF radio and a dye canister in there.

An old UK Light Cannon housing works perfectly. Wish that I had thought of that before buying the Ozzie case.

Got a replacement for my original Aussie canister that leaked (not flooded, but leaked enough that the Ebay guy said he'd replace it for free; he said there shouldn't be any water inside). I took the replacement out this past weekend empty, and after two dives to a max of 100 feet, there was about an inch of water inside the canister. Again, probably not enough to trash the PLB, but I keep hearing that there shouldn't be any water inside. Maybe I'm using too much silicone lube on the o-ring? Maybe I did get two defective ones? I don't know, but I'm in need of a tried and true solution before some big trips coming up that I will need to dive with the PLB. I have been in contact with DUI to have them put together one for me, so if that comes to fruition, I'll post about it here. Fall back may be Light Monkey, although at $250 that's at the very top end of what I'm willing to spend.

I did end up sending the original back to the Ebay guy in AU for testing, but I haven't heard back from him as to if there was anything wrong with it or just user error. At almost $30 to send to AU, I just can't keep doing that.

I bought a light monkey canister for my new ACR 2884. Not cheap, it's their big battery canister without the holes drilled in the lid. We'll see how it works after my upcoming trip.

OK, tried and true:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045LS8QS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A Pentek clear water filter housing. Tested to contain something like 150psi, so it should handle pressure the opposite way down to sport diving limits. About $14 online, cheaper for an opaque one, both available in any hardware store for about $15 more.

One big caveat: DO NOT get the usual models that have a "pressure release button" on them. This one just has two threaded holes in the lid, for inlet and outlet fittings. I put a piece of masking tape over those and filled each with ordinary epoxy, after carefully cleaning them out to make sure the epoxy would bond. I suppose stainless or nylon bolts could be used, but epoxy is what I had and I don't have to worry about threads this way.

You can embed stainless eye-ring or bit of cordage into the epoxy to make a good way to attach to this.

The top fitting simply screws down into the larger cylinder, seats on and traps one o-ring. I suspect any Ace Hardware would also have a slightly more robust o-ring, but I don't plan to open mine very often.

Maybe I'm using too much silicone lube on the o-ring?
That may the problem. Just enough that it doesn't feel dry. Most divers have no problems.

I bought a light monkey canister for my new ACR 2884. Not cheap, it's their big battery canister without the holes drilled in the lid. We'll see how it works after my upcoming trip.
That is a large PLB.

Back
Top Bottom