Any Information About A Discover Scuba Death in Grand Turk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a Discover Scuba trip in the Bahamas back in the 1990s... After some training in the pool, they dropped us on the reef in 25 feet of water and told us to come back to the boat at 30 minutes or 1,000 p.s.i., which ever came frist.

I don't recall being under the supervision of anyone while I was in the water, and I just swam around the reef by myself.

:shocked2:

I did a Discover Scuba trip in the Bahamas back in the 1990s... After some training in the pool, they dropped us on the reef in 25 feet of water and told us to come back to the boat at 30 minutes or 1,000 p.s.i., which ever came frist.

I don't recall being under the supervision of anyone while I was in the water, and I just swam around the reef by myself.

:shocked2:
You had pool training? :cool: We started ours with how to giant stride from the boat. In 3 dives, I swam thru a pilot house of a shallow wreck and did a 100 ft deep reef. Now I know better, but it was trust-me diving... :eek:

I just read the memorial about Bhavish. It is sad beyond words.

This is a a wake-up call about DSDs. I hope the industry heeds the call.

Sorry, you have that attitude, but I'm a regular on that board and there is a scuba forum there and a lot of divers. The accident occurred during a discover scuba excursion, the 17-year-old died, and Oasis Divers has had their contracts cancelled by both Carnival and Holland America. Not speculation, but rather, facts.

And, for the record, the cousin posted there to learn information about what happened. He lives in Dubai and the family has returned to the U.S. and is in seclusion while they try to deal with the loss of their son.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 06:40 PM ----------

Here's the latest update from (oh, forgive me!), the cruisecritic forum:
"I had two friends on this excursion. There were 16 people plus 3 instructors. 1 instructor stayed on board the ship. The father of the boy was unable to get his bearings under the water so he ended up not diving."

Sixteen discover scuba students and two instructors in the water? OMG.

I am also one of family friend and was with family for quite some time after incident to give them support ...Thank you for discussing much needed information.

God bless you.

I am also one of family friend and was with family for quite some time after incident to give them support ...Thank you for discussing much needed information.

God bless you.

So sorry for the loss of your friend.

I knew Bhavish since he was 3 years old...he was the kindest person and my son's best friend until 2nd grade when they moved apart. They was improper procedures followed...not any certified divers at all. They cannot begin to imagine what they did. Please live your life fully in memory.

My now husband and I were talking about this the other day. We still shake our heads over the arrogance and incompetence that Oasis Divers demonstrated, both when we dove with them and when this tragedy happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom