Any Information About A Discover Scuba Death in Grand Turk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah that seems to be the issue with cruise ship companies, push for more money regardless of safety. Must be hard to be an operator with them.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 03:42 PM ----------

Why? Maybe there were 4 or 5 instructors. Dont think there is enough info to draw any conclusion.
Agree with you totally. Listen people I know it seems like you can just type what you please and make random assumptions but as lissa has proven even a dive pro should not type out here opinions. Seriously it makes you look like your trolling for responses on a subject you did not see or witness..aka hear-say.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 03:45 PM ----------

I highly doubt that there were four or five instructors. I'm betting there weren't more than two. I dove with them in March and saw their operation. You couldn't pay me enough to ever dive with them again.
how would you know though? Unless you were there you have no reason to try and tell people what you "know" happend.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 03:51 PM ----------

The cousin of the 17-year-old has now posted on cruisecritic. He has confirmed that he died and I have asked for details. I'll post if they're provided.
Really, some stranger just asked someone to give them details about an accident in their family. Have some class.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 03:58 PM ----------

Hmm, seems like all that is known is someone age 17 had a problem, was flown to the US, and may or may not be dead. That's not very good investigative reporting.

This is just Dirty Laundry as I see nothing here worth discussing. And now we apparently may get the news from some other Board where someones cousin posts? Really? Sigh....
YES!! Ron thats what I was just thinking. If she is a pro maybe she should look at her manuals about quoting hear-say.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2015 at 04:02 PM ----------

Sorry, you have that attitude, but I'm a regular on that board and there is a scuba forum there and a lot of divers. The accident occurred during a discover scuba excursion, the 17-year-old died, and Oasis Divers has had their contracts cancelled by both Carnival and Holland America. Not speculation, but rather, facts.

And, for the record, the cousin posted there to learn information about what happened. He lives in Dubai and the family has returned to the U.S. and is in seclusion while they try to deal with the loss of their son.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 06:40 PM ----------

Here's the latest update from (oh, forgive me!), the cruisecritic forum:
"I had two friends on this excursion. There were 16 people plus 3 instructors. 1 instructor stayed on board the ship. The father of the boy was unable to get his bearings under the water so he ended up not diving."

Sixteen discover scuba students and two instructors in the water? OMG.

Nope, once again laurie you have no facts. I just went divng with Oasis on Friday. Seems to me you should worry more about yourself then what you read on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you bothered reading earlier posts on this thread? His relative posted here about the accident, also. Yes, I have facts. We dove with Oasis and you couldn't pay me enough to ever go on their boat again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oasis used to be a good dive opn but with the advent of the cruise ship pier about 10 yrs ago they followed the money and if you were a diver with any experience at all, you got the short end of the stick and were pretty much ignored. A DM complained to us about way too many people to train at the same time but that was then and this is now.

<<stevegd >> Always amazed at how people can argue over obviously dangerous and poor diving practices that a blind man could see involving the death of someone's precious child because you didn't have any problems diving with them last week.

Back
Top Bottom