Any lawyers here? Rent help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having enjoyed all the previous responses, here is my two cents. First where a contract is silient on an issue, subletting, that does not allow either party to act unilaterally. So if your girlfriend just went out and found a replacement the other parties have every right to reject.

Second, are the other two roommates leasing the property? If so then that lease would control the terms or their ability to sublet. Most leases that I am familiar with do not allow subletting. If that is the case, then the contract your girlfriend is a party to is invalid. She can walk the lease when ever she wants. Be sure that she has paid for the number of days she stayed that month and she should get her security deposit back, if any.

Third, there are a lot of university towns that have local ordinaces that forbid cohabitation between unrelated individuals in a single dwelling or unit. Not widely enforced, but a useful tool to invalidate leases.

Forth, if a contract is not a specific period of time, it is invalid. A real estate lease agreement has to be for a specific period of months or years. Otherwise it would probably be considered a month to month agreement by a court and require the state's standard legal notice for termination. In Texas, that is 30 days but it varies from state to state.

My advise would be for your girl friend to give her roommates 30 day written notice that she is leaving. Everyone should have a nice frank discussion about how things are not working out well and that it would be best to end on a civil note. If the notice was delivered today on the twentieth, the payment for January would be for around $266 payable on the 1st. Make that the final payment, take lots of photos before she leaves and wish them a happy life.

Which brings me back to just move out and stick them with it - screw the lease.

If she can show proof she attempted and succeeded in finding a replacement and they said no - then she should not be liable. I am certain I saw this on Judge Judy and Judge Mathis once! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom