Any New York Divers? Filmed Tropical Fish Off Coney Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Submerged_Stories

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was surprised to learn that tropical fish get swept up into NY by the Gulf Stream every year. I filmed these spotfin butterflyfish off of Coney Island and made a short video about these guys called Gulf Stream Orphans.

Is this something that you had heard of before? BTW any and all feedback welcomed.

I've been collecting Gulf Stream tropical reef fishes for a very long time. I set up my first salt water aquarium when I was still in high school, about 62 years ago. This was before all glass tanks existed. The fishes available from dealers in NYC were most Floridian and horrifically expensive, but I had grown up at the New Jersey shore snorkeling and diving, and knew that some reef fishes were extremely common up here in late summer to early fall.

Spotfin butterfly fish were and still are abundant, with dozens, sometimes hundreds on every jetty and inlet from August to October, but they all die in November as water temps plummet. I have one now in my aquarium that I caught a year and a half ago, Summer 2020. I retired from academia a few years ago and moved back to the Jersey shore. It wasn't too long after moving to new quarters that I set up a 120 gallon, smaller than I'm used to, but adequate.

In addition to Spotfins we see a fair number of Four-Eyed Butterflys, and juvenile Blue Angelfish are seen occasionally. Small groupers are plentiful, as are Filefish, Lookdowns, tiny Trunkfish, Damsels, Squirrel Fish, Tangs, and Seahorses. Every now and then I see my favorite, the bright red Short Bigeye, or some unexpected rarity. Last summer I collected a couple of small Parrot fish. I used to collect some of these fishes for friends years ago. Aquarium stores selling seahorses and Lookdowns in North Jersey may have gotten them from me back in the 70s. These fishes are mostly shallow, sheltering in inlet and jetty rockpiles, under docks, etc. These days I mostly just fishwatch. At my age lugging heavy tanks is difficult, so I use use smaller tanks that still can last for quite a while in the usual 10 to 20 foot depths.

Gulf Stream tropical strays are well documented in the literature, and have been for a long time. Charles M. Breder wrote a monograph for the NY Aquarium about them in 1920. Collecting them or just observing them is like an Easter egg hunt- you never know when some rare jewel will turn up. Every now and then something will turn up way out of its official range. Even though they all die in late fall it's part of a natural process- marine fishes tend to produce vast numbers of eggs that are planktonic, carried by currents far and wide. That's how ranges are extended as conditions change over geologic time. We here in the North East are fortunate to have the Gulf Stream bringing us tropical jewels in large numbers every summer. Catching your own aquarium specimens adds a whole new dimension to the aquarium hobby.

Yes. Happens every year in. Some guys catch them for their aquariums.

What a great comment agilis, thanks for writing all of this up! Sounds like you have a lot of experience diving here in NYC and keeping aquariums. Would be wonderful to find a parrotfish! I will keep my eye out.

I didn't know about the Breder monograph. But you might find interesting this old publication from 1898 (!!) by the Woods Hole Oceanographic institute. It includes a pretty cool print of a 100 year old four-eye butterfly fish on pg 103: The fishes found in the vicinity of Woods Hole. - Biodiversity Heritage Library. So they've definitely been coming here a long time.

I like really like the way you put this! Totally like an Easter egg hunt :)
Collecting them or just observing them is like an Easter egg hunt- you never know when some rare jewel will turn up.

Yes. Happens every year in. Some guys catch them for their aquariums.
Thanks dude! I know it happens every year but I was excited to find so many in clear enough water to film really well. I find it totally fascinating that they have been coming here for probably hundreds of years or more.

Thanks dude! I know it happens every year but I was excited to find so many in clear enough water to film really well. I find it totally fascinating that they have been coming here for probably hundreds of years or more.
Thanks for the Woods Hole link. They have documented fascinating occurrences over the years, things like finding a huge seahorse in 200 feet of water in mid-winter. By the way, that postage stamp in your excellent video does not depict a Spotfin butterfly fish. It's a French butterfly, Prognathodes (formerly Chaetodon) guyanensis. The two very small Parrot fish I found last summer came up in a seine together. I've never encountered one while diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom