Anybody have fun(and safe) pranks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in 97? our LDS chartered half of the Vision out of S. Barbara for a three day trip; the other half was from a wacky group from elsewhere, who were often up to something. On the first dive, just before his giant stride, one yelled to his buddy, "Are you sure you don't have to know how to swim to do this?" (The crew wasn't so amused.)
On one dive at an "urchin barren," one videographer wasn't seeing much, including another videographer, who filmed the 1st while he furtively glanced around, then chopped up an urchin and started filming as a few fish showed up. He later got to see it played it for the whole boat.

A friend of mine who is a commercial diver told me this one.

Just before they put the helmet on a new guy they drop a cockroach in it. He's down there for about 4 hours with the roach running around inside the helmet.
I asked my friend if they did it to him. He said "yeah, I opened my mouth until it crawled in and then bit it and spit it out."
They do get paid for solving problems.

I don't know if this is true or an "urban legend"...although I was on the boat yesterday with the guy who supposedly told this story (I omitted his name here) but other than that I copied it verbatim from

http://www.heptune.com/Guamcrit.html#Cockroaches

And now for the ultimate cockroach story. (MDA boat captain)tells the story of two guys who went scuba diving one day. One fellow had left his dive gear in the trunk of his car for some time. He didn't test his regulator out before getting all his stuff on and going into the water.
When they were down 30 feet or so, a little cockroach ran out of the guy's regulator into his mouth.
Now, some people absolutely hate to take the mouthpiece out of their mouths underwater. You have to do it a lot when you are taking scuba diving lessons. After that, many people won't do it. This guy was one of those people. He just let that little roach run around in his mouth.
After awhile, the cockroach got bored running around inside this guy's mouth, and it decided to go exploring. It ended up in his nasal passages, and eventually came out of his nose and into his diving mask, where his dive buddy saw it.
When they returned to the surface, the buddy said, "Do you know that you have a cockroach in your mask?"
"Yeah, I know," sighed the guy.
"Well, where did it come from?"
"Out of my nose."

(Back to me again...I know I've seen roaches drop out of rental gear...regs, wetsuits...where the gear gets stuffed into a small, wet room...but it's almost unbelievable to me that someone wouldn't 1) remove their reg, 2) remove their mask, or 3) bolt to the surface, with a cockroach inside their mask. Snakes, spiders, morays, etc I'm fine with, but cockroaches......yecccccccchhhhhhhhhhhh!)

When you have everyone in your dive group together on the surface, float a babe ruth bar in the middle of the crowd and wait for their reaction.

Heck, I keep getting a lot of use out of "You have your fins on the wrong feet!"

A friend of mine is a hairdresser. Just before the traditional Halloween underwater scavenger hunt, he filled the schoolbus in the local dive hole with about 20 or so hairdressing mannequin heads covered in fake blood and gore. (Waterproof blood and gore, of course).

The heads were buoyant so he tied them on short strings (not enough to get tangled in, just enough to make them float eerily). Nice effect! A few people were startled but most came up laughing. :)

Years ago, during a weekender at Ginnie Springs, A guy laced his buddy's fin pockets the night before the dive with fish attractant.
The guy didn't know what was going on but his gear smelled a bit funny. During the dive we all watched as it seemed that every fish in the river was swimming behind the guy. He turned around at one point and was stunned to see a dozen little minnows nipping at his heels.
Someone took a pic of it, but I don't know who has it. The pic didn't do it justice though.

I think it's OK to have fun while diving but some of these are dangerous.

There is a woman in my club that likes to goose people. Its funny and has been the source of much laughter withing the club. I also have to qualify it that it's never been done in a manor that would endanger someone or on a dive that required the diver to have a lot of concentration, like deep dives, of current dives.

As for some of these I have to say that if I had a buddy who shut my air off, or pulled my weight causing me to assend (possibly uncontrolled) it would be the last time they ever dove with me. Moreover, I'd probably let them have it verbally on the surface afterward.

Fun is fun but really consider the prank and the consequenses befor you execute it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom