Anybody Know How to add Hydraulic Fluid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
oh, okay. Well, it's not the hydraulic motor. It's the transmission fluid that goes in the trim/lift system that lifts the marine outboard keg out of the water. I think. I will check. He told me which hole it goes in...

Isn't the leg oil for the lower end unit? the prop? The boat runs great, I just can't lift one of the engines out electrically. A couple guys have to lift it
Is THAT why you always have all the young hardbodies on your boat?:wink:
If you seal it, it can't vent to allow fluid in. Just get the small funnel with a flexable hose like I told you and add a little at a time. keep a couple of paper towels under it while pouring.
2002 Honda 90s

Chuck Tribolet:
What make, HP, and year is the motor?

They are twin Honda 90's, Chuck. I bought the service manual, I'm trying.

Yea, WC, there is something to be said for that.

Low fluid would normally start to evidence it's self by moving the motor, but not all the way out of the water.

It did that for awhile.. He said put fluid in it and then if it leaks out (he said it might be super slow) then we might need to rebuild it when we haul out next month to do bottom paint.

Got pictures? Alot of the engine or drive trim/tilt mechinisms and where the fluid is are located in the boat.

yes, there is something on the steering column too.

This is an electricaly operated self contained trim/tilss unit. The fluid is added in the fill hole which she knows where it's at. Nothing special or tricky here..
Did you get a new cap? Id order two if not cuz they will get droped again.

I ordered two caps and two of those discs that go on the bonnet where we do the fresh water flush. 68 buckeroos.

I need a new parts source. Windward boats is....high.

Try the next dock over at night, much cheaper!
Keep telling you, Ebay.

The trim tab reservoir on my boat was a bear to get at to top off as are the brake cylinders on some airplanes I deal with. I found the same solution for both of them. I get cheap ketchup bottles at the store and a couple feet of different size surgical tubing to keep handy. Pick a tubing that will fit in the fill hole but not completely plug it (need a vent for the air) and slide the tubing over the nozzle of the squeeze bottle and you’re all set for mess free, drip free top offs.

I’ve had trim pumps and marine power steering systems go for 6 months to a year with no drop in level and suddenly they’re low and after I top them off and they never drop again. Many times it’s caused by air that has gotten trapped somewhere in the system and not completely purged when the system was open and for some reason the bubble finally gets moved out. Surprisingly all at once the system works much better than new because it no longer has the air in it.

Catherine,

My mom would often complain at my dad for taking her turkey baster when it wasn't holiday season to top off car manual transmission levels, which also use a horizontal hole, and failing to mention it was now in the garage and she'd need to buy a new one when she was ready to make a holiday meal again. Just one suggestion.

Catherine I ran a pair of 90’s off the back of my boat and in my honest opinion I wouldn’t spend the money on the pump just because like someone else said it will be a very rear occasion you will need to add oil to your trim tilt unless it’s leaking. That and being you are running outboards the power trim tilt is about the only thing that is hard to get at. The ketchup bottle works awesome and is cheap to replace when someone miss places it. They have the hole in sideways to prevent over filling and ease of checking fluid level. (no dip stick)
Here is a link to a supplier in Seattle. These guys are reasonable at least as boating supplies go and if you need help there is usually someone on staff that knows what they are talking about and can help.
http://www.fisheriessupply.com/online/

Donnie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom