Anyone Buy Vehicle from Mainland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But it was new...is the same for a used car?

because for awhile people were buying vehicles, putting miles on them and bringing them in used. Then they closed that loophole, but I am wondering who will calculate my sales tax and what documentation I will need to show. (bill of sale, less the transport costs?)

I follow what ya'll are saying.

Alex and I both had colorful seperate run ins with the authorities at pier 34 yesterday picking up the bike, BTW. We both were told pier 35 by PASHA. So, coming down Nimitz we turned in at the pier 35 sign by the USCG boats and followed the road onto the pier (we both seperately did not notice the security gate, did not stop and proceeded the wrong way (no arrows) down the pier. We were both chased down by some sort of armed men. (Homeland security ? at its finest. My advice is to wake up the guy napping in the guard shack, and maybe even prop him up in a vertical position. You know...alert like?

Texas:

"A tax (6.25%) is levied on all retail sales of new or used motor vehicles in Texas and motor vehicles purchased at retail outside the state and used on Texas public highways by a Texas resident or an individual domiciled or doing business in this state."

But what paper trail flags the sale?

the title?

must i produce a bill of sale?

call the dmv and just say you are military stationed in HI and are having your car shipped to you. let them know you just bought it and are having it shipped. that way you won't be surprised when you get there. Don't forget to have the hubby get the form from his orderly room (? don't know what the marine's call it) so it is only $25 to register it. That is the nice break military gets there.

I think the hubby is a bit spoiled!!! Nice bike(s). Is the lightweight yours?

Ahhhhh. Used car. If you bought it from an individual then there is no sales tax and they cannot collect it. An idividual doesn't have a license to collect a sales tax and a state cannot make money off that sale since it isn't retail.

An idividual doesn't have a license to collect a sales tax and a state cannot make money off that sale since it isn't retail.

I went to DMV today...

I have a check list of what I need to do

and they do not need a bill of sale (one year old Ducati) BUT...bought from a dealer in LA. No sales tax was paid and it does not look like the state of Hawaii plans on collecting because they gave me an official stamped list of what I need.

Shipping documents (PASHA...no sales figures on that)

application for reg (back of title)

safety inspection, non resident form
(being a non resident doesn't get you pass on sales tax on a new car bought here...)

official weight by state certified scale (weigh station agrees this is stupid because active military pays flat rate)

So, I think the sales tax will not be collected which makes Hawaii look exceptionally brilliant, that with all these requirements, they are missing the sale AND the tax.

An idividual doesn't have a license to collect a sales tax and a state cannot make money off that sale since it isn't retail.

well the GET is paid on everything coming and going here. You hire a tutor or a maid..and you pay 4.5 or whatever it is now.

I can't stand it when things don't make sense.

so..you could buy a 95,000 dollar used 06 ,745 iL in Cali, ship it here and not pay any sales tax! I think you could...

SO WHY is anybody buying a new car here???? The shipping is roughly the same whether you pay it on the sticker or ship it yourself.

...and Linda Lingle's family owns half the new car dealerships.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom