Anyone gotten sea lice this season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I will be diving in Florida at the end of the month, might I ask, what are sea lice and what effect do they have?

Not to Hijack this thread but I will be staying in Palm Beach and am planning on doing most of my diving up there but would like to take a day and go to the keys. What would be the best (can't miss this dive) location to go to?

Bruce
I do a lot of diving in PB County - Jupiter, mostly - year 'round - and I have never gotten "hit" by sea lice

Sea Lice are marine organisms that can cause EXTREME skin break outs; you get little red dots (many) on the exposed area which depending can be small or cover more of your body than what you want - they can drive you crazy and itch like you would not believe.

The good news - some can dive in a sea of them and not be affected; others (like my wife, who got a really bad case in little cayman a few years ago) are really suseptable.

Best advise is to wear an exposure suit, and if you do get hit, antihistimines will help as there may be swelling - you can check with the operator to see if they have been spotted, but there is no assurance as the ocean is a pretty big place - they may be gone or there to welcome you on your next dive.

PS We tried everything when my wife had an exposure to them; she had some really big bumps - one thing I can tell you for sure is clear nail polish on the bumps just looks silly; it is not a cure - cortisone cream helped a little.

I have to wear gloves year round, as sea lice seem to attack me in every exposed area....hands (sans gloves), neck, face. I recently started using the jelly fish lotion sold in LDS, and it seems to help somewhat. Some people are more susceptible to getting stung than others. I won't let it interfer with my diving, as that's my respite from the real world, but washing well after diving seems to help as well as using the lotion that prevents stings in the first place.

i think this might be what i have! i have big, red welts on my upper lip. it's been 4 days. how long does it usually last for? they are really gross! it only itches slightly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom