Anyone Help With Some Recently Purchased Vintage Diving Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I recently purchased some vintage dive gear at the market. Couldn't resist. They will be display pieces in my centre. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into them. The guy I bought them off just said he's had them years. I don't see much point in having display pieces if I can't tell people about them a bit

The second reg is a Dacor 800 Olympic. There's a brief mention of it here: Vintage Single Hose Regulator Collection
The Dacor Olympic 400 was a top of the line regulator in the early 1970's. The Olympic 800 was the same as the 400, only with a built-in reserve. Both had balanced first stages. The Olympic second stage regulators had a dual exhaust system for minimum exhalation resistance. The Olympic 400 sold for $95 in 1973 and the 800 sold for $115.

The "Sportsways ORCA" circa 1964 "Piston First Stage with with a "Downstream" 2nd A "Hand-wheel was fitted to the 1st stage by 1967,this regulator was also marketed by "New England Divers" and re badged. The SPG is by WIKA (UK) for "Midland Diving Equipment" (UK)
The SPG att to the "Dacor" unit is by "Smiths" (UK) for A. Tillbrook trade badge "SPARTAN" (UK)
The back pack att to the "yellow" USD cylinder is by "Sois Marine" circa mid 1960.

john

You have two vintage steel 72 cubic foot tanks with a 1/2 inch tapered thread K-valve.

The Suunto compass is one that many of us used, and I believe it was also issued to us in the US Air Force for our diving as pararescuemen. If you look at it in the dark, the yellow lines may be luminiecent, even without prior exposure to light. That would be because the illumination is slightly radioactive (alpha particles); you can confirm this by placing it close to a Giege counter instrument.

This Suunto compass is designed for the wrist, and is used by placing the hand with the compass on it on the other arm just above the elbow, and grabbing that opposite arm. When on the surface, point the opposite arm toward your destination, keep the compass arm in exactly that orientation, but release the grip and with the opposite hand rotate the bazzle until the double dash mark on the ring is directly over the magnetic needle. This fixes the angle for you to use when submerged. Submerge, again fix your compass hand to the extended arm, and make sure the needle remains inside the double dashes as you swim to your destination underwater. The bottom photo, from the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in Key West, Florida, 1967 shows USAF pararescrueman Bob Means (my buddy for this dive) using this technique for swimming an underwater compass course (1500 yard swim underwater to a specific target on the beach). The second photo shows a buddy team coming ashore after a compass swim.

This compass can also ne used to fix your location to a shoe on a map, but some computation is necessary to translate the magnetic readings to true north used on most maps, and is a bit beyond this discussion. (The technique is a triangulation technique between two or three landmarks on the map, but uses true north for the map, which usally contains the "declination" between true and magnetic north at that location.)

SeaRat

Attachments

• Two USS photos.jpg
    Two USS photos.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Underwater Swim Exit.jpg
    Underwater Swim Exit.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
You have two vintage steel 72 cubic foot tanks with a 1/2 inch tapered thread K-valve.

SeaRat

Those cylinders have European markings and are not DOT.

The yellow one looks like it was made by PST for the European market. It is stamped with a 2250 psi WP (working pressure), but I don’t believe that the Europeans adopted the plus (+) stamping with the 10% overfill. Therefore, it would not be a steel 72. It does look like similar dimensions to a steel 72, but it is hard to tell.

The black and white one looks like it has a European O-ring style valve. That is not a tapered threaded valve. Also, the shape of the cylinder doesn’t look like any steel 72 I have seen. The black and white markings is typically used in England (and maybe other European countries) to indicate air. This cylinder looks wider than the yellow one.

Luis is correct about the black and white cylinder, but whether the yellow one is 1/2 inch or some other dimension, it is using Teflon tape on the valve, so I believe it is a tapered thread. The black and white cylinder states, "SPARTAN" on the stamp. Luis, can this be used to ID it?

SeaRat

The threads on the yellow tank are definitely tapered and it does look like it could be 1/2” NPT.

I have Poseidon and German Drager cylinders that have tapered threads, but they are different threads than what we see here in the US.

I think that I have seen the SPARTAN as part of a brand name, but I don’t know anything about it.

Is this ad from the October 1969 issue of British Sub Aqua Club magazine triton any help?
img095.jpg

In case the phrase "The 10/- difference" doesn't make sense to an American audience, it means "10 shilling difference", i.e. the price difference between the two products illustrated. There were twenty shillings in one pound sterling before decimalisation of British currency.

A. Tillbrook & Co. Ltd. traded in the UK in the 1960s and 1970s under the name "Spartan". Their core business was a range of wet suits, but they also offered a full range of diving gear made by others, some of it badged with the "Spartan" brand name. Here's the inside page of their 1963 catalogue explaining what the company does:
Tillbrook.jpg

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom