Anyone here been involved with setting up an artificial reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luscioman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for anyone that has experience with setting up an artificial reef. I am more specifically looking at those that might have been involved in doing this east coast.

I have a second question how viable would steel shipping containers be for an artificial reef on the east coast of Florida? The only possible negative impact I have found is that they may have some zinc in the paint which would be harmful. I did also read about the Monteray containers. However it appears that they were carrying rubber tires. Experts please provide some feedback here.

And why would zinc be harmful? It is found naturally in sea water at concentrations 10^-8 M, something like 0.5 microgram/L.

i believe that shipping containers have been used in several locations. if my memory serves (and it may not), a project in NY/NJ a little bit ago dropped decommissioned shipping containers (and NYC subway cars)

And why would zinc be harmful? It is found naturally in sea water at concentrations 10^-8 M, something like 0.5 microgram/L.

The levels of zinc and other components of anti-fouling paint are MUCH higher than what is naturally found in seawater and indeed are toxic to encrusting marine life. It is my understanding that not all shipping containers are painted with these types of paints. Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer and see what kind of paint they used. Also, some shipping containers have wood floors and these are pressure treated with toxic chemicals. It would probably be a fairly easy fix to remove the wooden floor if your container has one.

There are also some legal ramifications. The state of Florida will require a permit, they don't look to kindly on folks just dumping stuff in the ocean. I do know people who have illegally dumped materials for their own personal artificial reefs, but not sure if it's the best idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom