Anyone ice diving this weekend? (Jan 30 - 31, 2016)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

I created a thread in the Midwest section, but missed the more-specific GLWC section here, so I thought I would post here, too.

It's supposed to be 40 degrees this weekend. Anyone interested in ice diving?

I'm certified and I've done a dozen or so ice dives, but I don't have any of the ice-specific tools (ropes, ice screws or ice spade/saw). Having said that, Home Depot has options for these things, so if there's a will I will try to find a way!

White Star or Spring Mill Pond are the obvious locations, but there are *lots* of lakes to choose from. If you're even a *little* interested, post! Let's see what we can come up with!

Edit to add: Link to other thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/any-ice-diving-in-michigan.521082/

White star quarry is closed till feb 27 and 28th fyi.
I am planning on diving at gilboa on Sunday. Water was 41 last week with no ice.

I didn't think White Star closed. I know that the concession won't be there, but I was under the impression that the park was still open?

I know it's been a pretty mild winter, but I'm surprised that Gilboa is still ice free.

White star closes from January 2nd through april 1st for all diving except for specific weekends.
I think gilboa takes alot longer to freeze over due to the amount of water. White star as of last week still had very little open water. Not sure how thick it is.

Hrmm. I just called Sandusky County Parks. The lady I spoke to said that the park is still open, but she does not know if the scuba part is open: it's 'handled by someone else'. That really is too bad. I get not having the concession, but not *allowing* diving? :(

My original question still stands, though: who wants to ice dive this weekend! :) I didn't want to drive to Ohio anyway! :)

Back
Top Bottom