Anyone own the DAN SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BertStevens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to find out imore about the DAN SMB. Anyone own one who'd be willing to share their experiences?

My wife and I both have used the DAN SMB on every dive since 2011. I just lost mine in Hin Daeng, Thailand last month and I will be replacing it with another DAN SMB. I like the size and the pouch that contains the whistle, light and mirror. It's large so if you are going to deploy it, the deeper you fill it the better. I've had to actually use it twice in Cozumel when I was separated from the group. It's nice to deploy and clip it to your crotch strap to hang from it if the seas are calm. On the surface, I've used it as a leg rest so I could stretch out and relax waiting for the boat to pick me up.

Thanks for responding. Here's my questions.

1. Is the pouch attached to the SMB, and if so, do you send your mirror and light up in it?
  2. Is the bottom regulator inflator a one way valve? If it falls over at the surface, will it stay inflated or empty and sink?

Yes, the pouch is attached to the SMB and yes, you will send your mirror, whistle and light up with it.

It stays inflated even if it falls over. Even if you use it as a foot rest as you wait for the boat to pick you up.

I have been using them for well over 10 years.
I have three brand new ones in the garage as a reserve, and two in my dive bag.

Chug
Would rather be seen than heard.

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll be ordering one as soon as I get home!

I have one, too.

I like the little pouch to keep my whistle in.

I like that it has a radar reflective strip in it, but I'm not convinced that it would be very effective. However, I figure it's better to have it than not.

I don't like that it still runs pink dye even after 6+ months and, I don't know, total guess, 30 dives.

I don't like the strap arrangement for cinching it into a bundle and attaching to it for deployment. This issue has actually had me thinking about going back to my local dive shop and having another look at the XS Scuba SMB to see if the strap arrangement on that would work better (and, if so, buying one to replace my DAN SMB).

The issues I have with the strap are that the only way I've found to secure it rolled up is to wrap the strap around, through the plastic D-ring, and then Velcro it back on itself. That's okay except that if I want to pre-rig a finger spool to it, I would prefer to rig it to the metal D-ring. But then that would mean the reel's line is going to be pulled through the plastic D-ring on deployment and get in the way of unrolling the SMB. So, I attach the line to the plastic D-ring. But, I don't like that just because it's plastic and I worry about it somehow getting broken without me noticing it and losing my SMB on deployment. Plus, when bundled up, the plastic D-ring is pulled tight against the SMB, so it's hard to clip to.

Also, it has a plastic clip attached to the SMB next to the plastic D-ring. I'm still not sure what use that is. All I can think is to clip the metal D-ring into it to have the strap attached to the SMB at two points, instead of just one. I don't like that because, one, the clip is plastic (so, more prone to break), and, two, it's small and a little hard to operate to get anything unclipped from it, even without gloves on.

Or... maybe I just need someone to show or tell me some way to store and rig this thing better than what I have figured out.

I got rid of the plastic clips, leaving the strap and metal D-ring. I roll it up and stuff it in a tail pouch. Something like this one: XS Scuba Mesh Carry Pouch

And yes, it has bled orange over the years, to the point where it looks more pink than orange.

Yes, the pouch is attached to the SMB and yes, you will send your mirror, whistle and light up with it.

It stays inflated even if it falls over. Even if you use it as a foot rest as you wait for the boat to pick you up.

So it is a good idea to send up your other signaling devices with your DSMB??? WTF??? What will you use, if you need it, if you need to cut away your DSMB deploy? So if you cut it away you lose your signaling devices.... Keep this in mind.

Personally, I find pouches more trouble then they are worth. If all you are planning is a surface SMB, a good cheap one will suffice. If you are going to be using it as a DSMB, there are many good ones on the market (DAN's included). Personally I like the Carter CBPF-35. Big, supplants as a spare lift , almost bullet proof and does not bleed. I use mine regularly. My last recreational dive, I deployed it as a DSMB 2 out of 2 dives.

I got rid of the plastic clips, leaving the strap and metal D-ring. I roll it up and stuff it in a tail pouch. Something like this one: XS Scuba Mesh Carry Pouch

And yes, it has bled orange over the years, to the point where it looks more pink than orange.

Do you not pre-rig it to a spool? Or does the spool fit in that carry pouch too, or what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom