Anyone tried an eSIM for data in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where will you stay in Indonesia most of the time, and do they offer adequately speedy wifi service there?

Richard.

Richard, VOIP requires about 0.5Mbps so speed should not be an issue as long as you have an IP connection.

In our past travels to Bonaire, we've turned ON airplane mode and just used wifi and wi-fi calling. Any reason why this won't work in Indo?
This will work unless you expect to receive SMS text messages which can't be received over wifi. Only iMessages can be received over wifi.

Is it possible to transfer a Verizon number to eSIM and then turn off the eSIM for data? That way you might be able to use Telkomsel for data and still receive iMessages (not SMS) without enabling Verizon's $10/day Travel Pass.

Is it possible to transfer a Verizon number to eSIM and then turn off the eSIM for data? That way you might be able to use Telkomsel for data and still receive iMessages (not SMS) without enabling Verizon's $10/day Travel Pass.
Use Whatsapp, Skype or Telegraph. Or change to T-Mobile or get a Google Fi phone.

I thought all new SIM card in Indonesia need to be registered first.

Not so. Only for those staying more than 3 months. Otherwise leave the airport go to any small sim card stall and buy cheap sim card.
For short term tourists do not need to register your phone of sim card. If staying long term also need to register your phone and pay import taxes on it. Sim card tethered to my laptop was better than wifi speeds.

Yep. But WhatsApp, FB Messenger, and other messaging apps that work over data will be fine.

Yup I don't have FB or office email on my phone, just whatsapp. Also on my laptop I have whatsapp and skype. I could also watch my own IPTV streaming of sports that I supply to my clients as it is low kpbs low latency and worked fine even in Lombok and Lembongan.
I use an android Sony phone. Sure I don't get sms messages to my Taiwan sim unless I log onto that sim card, no point really.
My phone takes two sim cards so easy to swap from one to the other.

Back
Top Bottom