Anyone up to losing 10 lbs w/me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats donnad! Great job! Way to stick with it!!

Great job to Divemaven (that's a huge loss) and Sarita too!

Ive been diving in the Philippines since June 2nd. Learned quickly that it is impossible to eat cleanly - eveything is covered with oil and sugar. No access to a gym and excercise is spotty. It has been quite tough for a food perspective. Certainly I am ok with gaining a few pounds that I can work off when I get home in August. But it seems like the dam has cracked and now I find myself eating junk like cookies and chips. I have gained back 3-4 lbs which isn't a disaster but really I need to try to eat as healthy as possible. Veggies are almost impossible to find and everything is covered in butter. *Sigh* I guess is a small price to pay for all this awesome diving. But really need limit eating the other junk so I preserve some of the hard work it took to loose it.

Flying to indonesia today & hoping for grilled fish or anything healthy - also need to commit to staying away from the junk& even though it is super hot - at least trying to walk.

Oh BTW the diving is excellent! ;-)

It's rough when you go on vacation and can't find good food options....it makes it impossible to keep on track, no matter how much you want to. Hopefully you'll figure out a way to keep from gaining everything back before you get home.

We had a glorious 2 weeks on Bonaire, great diving, good food including sugarfree icecream. :) I didn't go nuts with what I was eating, but worked really hard to only eat when I was hungry, and much to my surprise I lost 1/2 pound! I've NEVER lost weight on vacation, but I suppose with doing 3-4 shore dives daily and usually only eating 2 meals was enough to not only keep the weight from coming back, but to enable me to lose a tiny bit.

We've been back for 2 days and tomorrow (Wed) is my first date with the treadmill. Yesterday I got back "on the wagon" with my eating plan with the goal of my next 10 pounds.

I lost 14 lbs while on a live aboard in Nassau. Feel great, and want to continue.

Kathy, your comments have me worried! I planned to drop 30 pounds when I go to the Philippines (hopefully not on my toes). I don't want to gain any weight! When I went on my last major dive/backpacking trip (2001) I lost 40 pounds without even trying thanks to better diet and lots of physical activity (backpacking and dieting).

Got back from Bonaire on July 11. Weighed monday morning July 13...........was up 2.5 pounds........four days later only .5 pound remaining to get rid of. I was pleased with that. So........that leaves me still wanting to lose at least 6 more pounds........maybe even 10........but i'll be very happy if i can lose 6 more. It won't be easy........I'm turning 51 tomorrow, and my body does not part with weight very easily at this point in life!!! But I'm happy to be rid of all but half a pound of what i gained on vacation. (We were eating much bigger meals than i eat when at home of course.......but the activity offset it pretty well)

Congrats on only gaining 1/2 pound on vacation....that's an excellent number and one to be proud of, considering how much eating out most of us do on vacation!

So the thread continues for your 6 pounds at least?? :wink:

I have a date with my treadmill today....and 4x a week hereafter. Although I don't mind the treadmill, I know this new change in my routine is going to be a bit painful for a couple of weeks, at least until it becomes ingrained. However, now that my eating change is a permanent part of my life (as evidenced by my choices on Bonaire), it's time to add the exercise, another critical component of becoming healthier (thus thinner).

thanks divemaven! i was pretty happy about that. yes, let's continue this thread........i think it helps when you're reporting in periodically to people:) yesterday was my birthday......so........the office did give me a sinfully delicious choc. cake and i did partake:) and.......pizza for dinner. that's okay.......because i think the key to this is to be reasonable. it's fine to have cake and pizza on occasion.......being balanced by healthy eating the rest of the time ya know? i just can't eat that stuff all the time and expect to be slim. Today.........healthy eating.....reasonable calories. I've worked so hard to lose this 11 pounds.....it did not come easy by any means. i really do not want to gain it back again. and i do want to lose at least 6 more, which i'm sure will not be easy either. it's so much harder the older you get.......seriously.

I think you're total right about being reasonable and balanced as to being the key to success. The real trick is to make sure that there isn't a reason EVERY DAY to eat something that is best left in the "special" column. That seems to be the trap that too many people fall into...me included, and it's something that after a 5 month fight I think I've broken.

I think that many overweight folks (again me included) "live to eat" instead of "eat to live", which is another battle I've been fighting and seem to be winning (finally!!). It feels like once that switch is made there's just no such thing as "cheating" or "dieting" anymore...it's lifestyle changes that are permanent and having treats sometimes becomes normal and not such a big deal. But man, what a tough road to walk for someone like me who has always been an emotional eater! One cool thing is that since making that switch it is much easier to refuse treats since they just aren't that big of a deal anymore.

One interesting little tidbit is that when you eliminate sugar from your diet, things like choc. cake taste terrible! I remember having a bite at a birthday party about 2 months after eliminating sugar and being absolutely stunned and grossed out at the overpowering sweetness. I actually wound up spitting the cake out as it simply was too overpowering for me. Whenever I think about eating something sugary now, I just remember that day and it's easy to say no.

Now to just convince my body to give up the next 25 pounds! :wink:

hi ladies!!! it's been awhile since i got on here, cause at my new job, i cannot use their server for any personal use, even while on lunch.........can you say bummer??? lolol anyway.........I'm doing great on the battle of the bulge now!!!! I have lost 15.5 pounds total !!!! since April 21st. My original goal was 14, so i'm darn happy!!! My ultimate goal..........i don't know......maybe only 3-4 more pounds!!!! But i'm more concerned right now, with staying at this weight. Once i got rid of that first say 11 pounds.......these last four pounds came off much more easily than those 11 did. I am 5' 9 1/2" and am now at 140.5 I have GOT to keep it off this time. I have gained and lost this same 15, even 20 pounds more times than i care to admit!!! I think i've adjusted my mindset enough this time to keep the food intake/choices at a reasonable place. I'll make it ok through the holidays.........it's when we get to january february and march that's my trouble zone for gaining it back. I'll be ready this time!!!!

That's great Donnad. Congrats on the new job. I have lost a total of 16 pounds since May 10th. I still have a bit left to loose, but have hit a bit of a plateau, so I need to get better about adding resistance training to my workouts (not just cardio). Probably is that I hate doing weights. Ah well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom