Aqua Lung ACD - Is it a gimmick or is it a deal maker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The AL ACD works, and works well. The Oceanic DVT has been problematic, but is ok when it works. The DVT can be removed without much trouble, which is often the fix for those which are troublesome, the ACD cannot be easily removed.

Pete,
I have one Titan LX ACD, and 3 old style Titan LX's. I have never had the ACD very deep, but to at least 150' I notice no difference in breathing. I doubt that that would be an issue on deep dives.

It has been interesting research so far and everyone's inputs are much appreciated.

At this point, I must say I appreciate that I have not turned up any consistent negative reports on the ACD. It has been around about a decade with what I assume is a lot of units in the water everyday under different conditions and users. Plenty of time to have complaints and negative feedback appear on searches.

For me so far, ACD seems to be neither a deal maker or deal breaker. Am looking at AL because of other considerations, mostly relating to my familiarity with the Conshelf DNA and my personal experience with them.

The rubber cover was re designed a few years back because they were having issues with the one pictured in an earlier post. All good now. I have 5 sets of Legends, new style and have not had any issues with leakage, breathing at depth, max I have been is 156'. Breaths as easy at 5' as it does at 156' absolutely no effort, actually feels as though it is feeding the air in. Much has to do with your tuning of your regs. I don't rely on the ACD, I still put the cap on when soaking, but it is a nice backup in case I forget some day or a dive op doesn't tighten the cap snug and they dunk it in a tank while I am off having a cold one after a dive.

I think it's a dandy feature from the look of it. I've been thinking of replacing my scubapro mk25/s600's recently. Until this thread I was looking primarily at Atomic regs. They've got the nice swivel that's supposedly more safe than an addon swivel.

The technician in the video on page one mentions several times that you don't really need a dust cap. Kind of what I was thinking when I saw it. Has anyone that owns one foregone the use of a dust cap and had no problems to report?

I have a Legend with the ACD and about 300 dives on it. Had it serviced last year and was told that despite me dropping it at a shop and being told it was serviced, it really hadn't been. Adjusted maybe but not serviced. But that's a story for another thread. Despite that, there was zero water issues inside the 1st stage. To NetDoc's point, I had the stuff hit the fan recently at 75ft, and never felt that the reg could not keep up with my breathing. Bottom line is it seems to work.

I just bought the core regulator and the core Octo. I did a lot of research as this is my first gear purchase. The ACD device is pretty ingenious. I have read this thread and some say that the ACD is a restriction point. I really don't see it as such. The ACD opens when the regulator is screwed into the tank and closes when removed from the tank. It is designed to keep water from ingressing into your line and ultimately finding it's way to your secondary. If that occurs your going to be going to a dive shop for repair. The need for a dust cap with this system is no longer needed, however it is a good practice to keep using one. I believe Aqua Lung got it right.

My 2 cents

Glenn

I just bought the core regulator and the core Octo. I did a lot of research as this is my first gear purchase. The ACD device is pretty ingenious. I have read this thread and some say that the ACD is a restriction point. I really don't see it as such. The ACD opens when the regulator is screwed into the tank and closes when removed from the tank. It is designed to keep water from ingressing into your line and ultimately finding it's way to your secondary. If that occurs your going to be going to a dive shop for repair. The need for a dust cap with this system is no longer needed, however it is a good practice to keep using one. I believe Aqua Lung got it right.

My 2 cents

Glenn

I just bought a Core Supreme as well. I started this thread because I was wondering about the ACD. Won't be getting it in the water till tomorrow but I really don't expect much to report. The ACD will just be in the back ground so anything to report will be when service is performed and whatever observations can be made then.

Just dove with my new gear today. Everything worked great. I do however have a little bit of advice. When you shut off the air to the tank, depressurize the Octo lines by pressing one of your mask faces until ALL air is depleted. If you don't and start to disconnect your yoke, you will blow off the O-ring on the tank.

I believe that since the equipment is new that yoke is really tight even when you just snug it up during assembly. When I went to disconnect my yoke today, it would not unscrew. I released the air in the lines using my primary but not enough and it blew out the o-ring.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Try not tighten the Yoke Thumb Screw so tight when you put it on the tank's valve. During the dive it creates a slight vacuum.

When I installed the yoke I did not over tighten the valve. I tightened the valve until I felt resistance. Same as I did with rental gear. As I,stated earlier, I believe that since the yoke is new, it has a better "seal" than used rental gear. At any rate, just ensure all air is removed from your lines or you will blow a tank seal.

Regards
Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom