Aqua Lung SolAfx or Aquaflite custom semi-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brtlmj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am very much a beginner. So far, I have only been diving in a rental 7mm farmer John + jacket. Now Christmas is coming and wife insists that I pick a present for myself :-D

I have almost decided to ask for a custom AquaFlite semi-dry: https://aquaflite.com/our-wetsuits/semi-dry-wetsuits/ Price is reasonable (approximately $400), and with a custom fit, 14 mm on the core and no water slushing inside I hope to be comfortable in Monterey or Tahoe. As an added benefit, I could ditch the jacket when diving in warmer places.

Buuuut... the Aqua Lung SolAfx is on sale everywhere. For example, $400 at my LDS or $325 at leisurepro. It also is a semi-dry and everyone who owns one seems to like it. I would not, however, get the "custom fit", and while the (advertised) stretch of the suit may compensate of this, this also means loss of protection as I get deeper.

In general, do I even need a custom wetsuit? I am between 6'1'' and 6'2'', 195 pounds, chest 41 inches, waist 39.5 inches.

Ideas, comments, recommendations? Thanks!

Bart

It's impossible to give advice on fitting over the Internet, there is so much variation between manufacturers and bodies. The only way to know is to try on. I'd give your LDS a chance to price match, I doubt they'll be able to match but may be able to come down a bit. If you like your LDS and want a good ongoing relationship with them it's worth the extra you may have to pay over online shopping. I'm happy to pay up to around 20% over Internet prices on bigger ticket items to support a good LDS. Small stuff I don't care.

Go try it on first. I bought a Solafx last year for diving in the local quarry and really like it. I'm don't match up with the size chart and the suit was able to stretch appropriately where needed (chest & thighs). I think you will like the freedom of movement that a one piece suit will give you. Good luck. Mike

the suit was able to stretch appropriately where needed (chest & thighs)
I'll second this. The SolaFX is one of the stretchiest wetsuits I've dived - which is good for overall fit but makes it a frickin' nightmare to don and doff. When you go to your LDS to try on one of them, I highly recommend having a dive skin or something on underneath. It makes a huge difference.

Yes, the SolaFX is a rather stretchy suit, but if you're looking for a good fit I'll second what has been said above and try one on. Sizing with suits isn't 100% consistent across the board, probably why we have such a friendly exchange policy.

If you are looking for a very warm wetsuit in 7 mm, you might want to consider a freedive suit as well. No zippers to leak and the attached hood makes water intrusion minimal..Our suits are less than $260 in 7 mm.

Check out this crazy guy.. :shakehead:

Yamamoto Reef Camo 2-Piece Open Cell Wetsuit | MAKO Spearguns

[video=youtube;4d9eW0tRIho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d9eW0tRIho[/video]

So, basically, my problem seems to be that I can try an off the shelf suit on at my LDS, but cannot do the same with a custom one...

I would think that that a "stretchy" suit would, if anything, be easier to don and doff. What am I missing? :-O

I remember reading somewhere that the "stretchy" suits tend to lose protection much faster with depth than the "regular" ones. Is the SolAfx affected by this as well? Oh, and are not freediving suits even worse in this respect?

Thanks, everyone!
Bart

I would think that that a "stretchy" suit would, if anything, be easier to don and doff. What am I missing? :-O
Getting the suit on was not a huge issue. Taking it off after a dive was when I most noticed problems. It loved to grab on to my forearms and calves and then had to be yanked off pretty hard. The stretchiness made getting it off that much harder as you had to try to grab on to the part near your skin to make any progress. If you pulled on the part of the suit that was already off, it just stretched and didn't move on your body. I could never do it on my own - my wife always had to help me with it.

I remember reading somewhere that the "stretchy" suits tend to lose protection much faster with depth than the "regular" ones. Is the SolAfx affected by this as well?
Yeah, this was definitely noticeable for me. On top of losing thermal protection, the buoyancy shifts were quite significant as well.

If you're considering a custom wetsuit, look at WetWear. My wife has one and loves it. The neoprene is really good and she reports much lower buoyancy swings with it. The EZ-ON zippers are also a great option to add.
They do get quite pricey for 2pc suits that will work in NorCal waters but if you don't want to go for a drysuit just yet, it's a good option.

I tried to order a wetwear wet suit once and got fustrated with their nickle and dime approach. Measured a customer was quoted a price and then was told I needed the EZon zippers, then it was another add on. By the 3rd add on my customer bought an of the rack took it to her tailor and had them customize to her size. Less hassle and she is very happy with the suit.

I haven't noticed a loss of insulation when diving my SolaFX in a 44 degree quarry. It stretches but not like my 5mm Henderson aqualock full suit that is made of the super stretchy material. It is the most comfortable suit I have ever worn but it does get compressed more than other suits at depth. They make a 7mm suit but I was able to snag a good deal on an XXXL Solafx and love it for really cold water diving. The Solafx is hard to get off because it doesn't have zippers on the ankles and cuffs like other suits do. I may need to try wearing a "dive skin" like others have suggested. Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom