Info AquaLung/Apex Exotec BCD Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hazard:

The dump valve knob can get stuck when the recalled BCD is inflated, opening the dump valve which stops the BCD from fully inflating. This can result in a loss of buoyancy control and poses injury (decompression sickness) and drowning hazards.

Ok, I get drowning, but FAILURE to maintain inflation is not likely to make you cork ...

Curious - I wonder if this is the pull tab for one of the shoulder dumps getting trapped holding the dump open. If so, I've personally seen this happen on a dive with another brand of BC (Scubapro) more than once before, and I assumed it was just an occupational hazard of a BC with a bunch of dump valves, all with toggles.

What I find interesting is that Aqualung seems to have only shipped/sold 330 of these BCDs in the US. Those are pretty low numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom