Aqualung Calypso maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I've been able to look a bit further at my Calypso VI, and that brass cone does come out of the seat. The seat also appears to be reversible.

That newer section of the regulator, with the swiveling LP outlets, has this stamped on it: "PAT NO. 3 426 790." I looked up this patent number, and it is to Mr. Leland S. Dey, US Divers Company, and was filed January 5, 1965. The patent was then issued on February 11, 1969. There are detailed diagrams of the regulator first stage, and descriptions of the Calypso-J regulator. US Divers Co, and Mr. Dey, patented the J-reserve mechanism and the piston system of that regulator. I'll try to upload the drawings from my other computer.

Okey, I'm back on my other computer. Here's the drawing:
CalypsoPatentPhotos.jpg

However, looking at these drawings, they do not show the newer pressure regulating springs at the LP end of the regulator.

SeaRat

Last edited:
I just got a couple of Calypso VIs more or less for nothing, and just rebuilt one of them using a service kit from VDH. The reg cleaned up nicely, and the IP locks up tight.

Parts are cheaper than for the Conshelf, and the Calypso is easier to service. Hose routing isn't ideal with either one.

I haven't dived it yet, still waiting for some hoses and a mouthpiece for the second stage.

I still have 6 calypso IV's, bought them back in the mid 70's to teach with. The hp seats are lying around, just find a old dive shop that sold US Divers and you will find them. They look like a Teflon doughnut with a o ring around the center.

There was a recall on this regulator in the late 70's. There was a couple of instances of the piston getting embedded too far in the seat, and pulling the seat loose. There was a recall kit that had a brass shim in it that went between the seat and the crown nut. There was also a brass insert that went into the center of the seat, and if this was used, then you will have a hard time just turning over the seat. It left a dimple on the back side of the seat. I never tried to sand one out.

There was also a recall for a batch of brittle main valve springs. The spring would crack and the piston would not open.

Overall, all of mine still work, but they are gathering a lot of dust these days.

I have the brass insert and was able to flip the seat despite the dimple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom