Aqualung Mistral Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definately discontinued items. On the Aqualung dealer area website, they show as closeouts and are not in the 2007 catalog.

Chetb:
Thanks to Aqualung for bringing the double hose back!
I tell ya what... My favorite Reg to dive is my original USD Mistral. I also have a Phoenix Aqua-Master... with all the extra accessories on it I find it works better for my buddies who want the Double Hose experience... but then again there is still some fine tuning that needs to be done on it.

Spectrum, no, my Mistral there does not have an original mouthpiece or hose set. When I got it about 1968 as a hand me down it had a rotten set of yellow hoses and tattered yellow mouthpiece. It soon got new black hoses and mouthpiece and that was the way it was until a few years ago. Those hoses were also now rotten after so many years and I replaced them with a reproduction set from vss and mouthpiece from vss as well. Then I found two yellow reproduction mouthpieces and bought them and then Stuart from England made some yellow hoses but I missed out and then recently he began making his high quality exact reproduction hoses in silicone but the mold was damaged and is being repaired. That set pictured there was his only yellow silicone set until the mold is repaired--soon --I certainly hope. So, after so many years, my Mistreal looks like it did when it was given to me except it is all new and ready to go and go it does, especially with it's brand new silicone main diaphram--sweet!!!!!! Thanks Stuart, vdh, vss and others.

N

I have to be honest... I'm intrigued by the double hose thing. Bubbles out of the way, quieter (at least I've heard that), more dependable, etc. Not to mention the cool-as-hell Sea Hunt factor. Tough to argue with those benefits. I'm disappointed to see the new Mistral not be a commercial success--might deter other manufacturers from trying to put out a competing product. Based on what I've read on the boards there is definitely a market for the double hose reg. I've heard great things about the Navy's Mentor. Hopefully somebody will get smart and start making those available for sale--at a reasonable price.

BrianLynn, Aqua Masters are very quiet but the original Mistral was just the opposite. It is still very cool since I have had mine forever. It is a single stage and has a venturi jet pointed down the hose. The conversion of tank pressure to ambient in ONE step results in a noisy venturi action that gives a classic swooosh, swooosh with each breath, The Aqua Masters, Voit Navy etc do not do this noise.

I think there is a niche market for a modern double hose that looks, acts like a classic double hose instead of a parts bin dust buster with rebreather hoses cobbled on. I am sorry that Aqua Lung did not give us a modern classic. I have made this offer, I have 1,500 dollars for a modern reintroduction of the Royal Aqua Master as the Royal Aqua Master Limited Edition--I am NOT going to purchase anymore plastic single hose un-Legendary, Apexor, blah blah junk ever again. Oh, it better me made of metal or I am keeping my money. In fact they could be clever and introduce a vintage set or call it classic or whatever with matching equipments.

DIR is on the wane, ref the thread there called Monkey Diving, the bloom is off the rose. These skilled divers have gotten board playing safe and are looking for real adventure--OK then Aqua Lung, give them something to shoot for--there is a market though it is small---now--but it could grow.

N

instead of a parts bin dust buster with rebreather hoses cobbled on.

That's outstanding!

Concur on all. Unfortunate that Aqua Lung didn't get it done with new mistral but at least they took a swing at it--the overall consensus would suggest it was a half *** swing at best for sure, but it was a swing nonetheless. You couldn't be more right, N.

Nemrod:
DIR is on the wane, ref the thread there called Monkey Diving, the bloom is off the rose. These skilled divers have gotten board playing safe and are looking for real adventure--OK then Aqua Lung, give them something to shoot for--there is a market though it is small---now--but it could grow.
Funny... I started diving with my double hose regs because I got bored with Deco Stops

fishb0y:
Funny... I started diving with my double hose regs because I got bored with Deco Stops

So double hose regs prevent decompression sickness??? Thats why no one ever got bent back them!! :bonk:

[mod disclaimer=on]
No doubles hoses don't prevent decompression sickness.
[mod disclaimer=off]

brianlynn:
That's outstanding!

Concur on all. Unfortunate that Aqua Lung didn't get it done with new mistral but at least they took a swing at it--the overall consensus would suggest it was a half *** swing at best for sure, but it was a swing nonetheless. You couldn't be more right, N.

They tried to do it on the cheap. They had/have the Mentor which is a classic design two hose but only sold to the Navy. The Phoenix conversion is very close to the Mentor design.

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/downloads/MENTOR_INFO.pdf

Otter:
So double hose regs prevent decompression sickness??? Thats why no one ever got bent back them!! :bonk:

[mod disclaimer=on]
No doubles hoses don't prevent decompression sickness.
[mod disclaimer=off]
Let me re-phrase... I started diving vintage because I was not getting the same excitement while do deep trimix dives.

Back
Top Bottom