Aqualung Mistral Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My original round label Royal Aqua Master (that I bought in the early 70’s) has always had a factory clamp ring.

I always hated working on regulators with the clips. By the early 70’s when I was working at the dive shop, double hose were already rare, so I didn’t have to deal much with the clips.

The availability of the new ring clamps has added a huge convenience factor to all the earlier US Divers double hose regulators. Having to work with the clips is not only damaging to the case, it makes a hassle to open the regulator.

The new reproduction silicon diaphragm is another great addition to the reproduction parts. The performance improvement is substantial.

One thing to watch for with the new silicon diaphragm is to not over tighten the ring clamp. The sealing edge on the new reproduction diaphragm is full thickness (it has not been compressed for decades) and it is easy to clamp them to tight.

I noticed with one regulator when I was tightening the ring clamp that the breathing resistance increased if the diaphragm was over tightened. I was able to test it, wile I was tightening the clamp and the degradation in performance was very repeatable as I over tighten the clamp. The breathing resistance decreased as I adjusted the compression on the diaphragm edge back to normal. The ring that I was using was adjusted to clamp an older diaphragm with a thin edge seal. I ended up replacing that clamp ring on that regulator.

Back
Top Bottom