Question Aqualung pro HD v zeagle zena ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parskim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am fairly new to diving with around 30 dives and certified up to a recuse diver with PADI. Looking to mainly do recreational diving and potentially do my dive master further down the line.

Currently looking at buying my first BCD as i’m a petite woman and most men BCDs don’t fit me. The two options are the Aqualung Pro HD womans or the zeagle zena. Which one would you recommend and why?

Price is not a huge issue for me but if i can avoid buying another BCD further down the line that would be ideal.

I haven't tried either, but they are two very different designs. For instance, the Aqualung is a wrap-around jacket style BC, whereas the Zeagle is back-inflate. Are you aware of this and chose these two BCs because of it? I am asking because either design has admirers and people that don't like that specific BC style.

The Zeagle has a very unique set of features/design. I understand why that vest seems appealing, especially since you're having trouble finding a BC that fits you well. But it has some other features as well, that may impact your diving. The back-inflate bladder of the Zeagle is not ring/donut-shaped, but more like a horseshoe. At the bottom, air cannot move around freely throughout the bladder. Some people find it difficult to maintain trim easily in a BC with such a bladder design.

I am just pointing it out because I am not sure if you're aware of these design features that may have an impact on your choice of BC.

Thank you for your response. I have actually tried both in water and find that my trim is very much perfect with the zena. However i have heard that with
I haven't tried either, but they are two very different designs. For instance, the Aqualung is a wrap-around jacket style BC, whereas the Zeagle is back-inflate. Are you aware of this and chose these two BCs because of it? I am asking because either design has admirers and people that don't like that specific BC style.

The Zeagle has a very unique set of features/design. I understand why that vest seems appealing, especially since you're having trouble finding a BC that fits you well. But it has some other features as well, that may impact your diving. The back-inflate bladder of the Zeagle is not ring/donut-shaped, but more like a horseshoe. At the bottom, air cannot move around freely throughout the bladder. Some people find it difficult to maintain trim easily in a BC with such a bladder design.

I am just pointing it out because I am not sure if you're aware of these design features that may have an impact on your choice of BC.
Thank you for your insight. I’ve actually tried both in water and find that with zena my trim is almost perfect. However i’m hesitant to go for it as i’ve heard its better to stick with a jacket style until you’re More experienced.

If it fits well and dives well, why not go for it then? Sounds perfect to me.
I don't know where you've heard that it's "better" to dive a jacket BC first? If another style works for you (you have tried it and there were no issues), then it's alright, isn't it? Personally, I switched from jacket-style to backplate and wing before I had even 20 dives or so. Dive whatever style you like and know works well for you.

However i’m hesitant to go for it as i’ve heard its better to stick with a jacket style until you’re More experienced.
A lot of that mentality comes from people equating Backplate and wing designs with tech diving. It's just a false correlation.
Most important three things in a BCD:
1: does it work well for you?
2: does it work well for you?
3: does it work well for you?
Only semi valid criticism of back inflate I've heard that isn't just a personal preference issue, is potential to push you face forward at the surface. I say "semi valid" because it is really an issue of weight positioning and expectations. A jacket BC has the aircell wrapped around you, so when full inflated at the surface it can have you head and shoulders out of the water (which is overkill). With back inflate or BPW, the aircell is behind you... So trying to get that high in the water without changing anything else will push you forward. 3 things to cope with that. 1; weight placement... If using a weight belt Wear the lead towards the back of the hips, also consider weights on the cam bands.
2; don't try to sit so high in the water. I rest at the surface with my chin touching the water. 3; if you do want to sit higher at the surface, lean back onto the wing, keeping the parts of you that are out of the water above the aircell.

TL/DR:. What matters in a BCD is what you prefer, they all have their quirks. My wife likes jacket style and hates back inflate. You can't pay me to use a jacket. Neither requires any certain experience level.

Respectfully,

James

Reactions: L13
However i’m hesitant to go for it as i’ve heard it’s better to stick with a jacket style until you’re More experienced.
No additional experience necessary to dive a back inflate. My daughters both learned on Zeagle back inflates. Oldest uses a Zeagle Lazer, youngest uses a Zena.

If you like the Zena go for it. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them.

You’ll find that some don’t care for the Ripcord weight system. The majority that say that have never actually used it and are only repeating what they heard. It’s very secure (just make sure you close the red zipper), and not difficult to rethread. No proprietary pockets to replace. So, should dumping weights be necessary, just about any standard weight will work. The only caveat I’ve heard is that some 1lb hard weights (pencil style) might slip out, but my daughters have had no issue with 1lb soft weights.

I ended up going for the Zena and i’m so happy i did. It fits so comfortably and works brilliantly. I can bend down to put my fins on very easily as it doesn’t have the bulk on the from that typical jacket BCDs do.

I ended up going for the Zena and i’m so happy i did. It fits so comfortably and works brilliantly. I can bend down to put my fins on very easily as it doesn’t have the bulk on the from that typical jacket BCDs do.
Awesome. Glad you like it.

If you haven’t already, learn to rethread the ripcord. Zeagle has a video on it, link below. Try it out and make sure you are comfortable with it. Though you likely won’t have to do it often, rethreading is often a complaint I hear. Though, not too surprisingly, I haven’t heard that complaint who have actually rethreaded it before. Without a doubt, it takes longer than other systems, but you don’t need expensive proprietary pockets that may be difficult to find.

Back
Top Bottom