Are Aquaria Good For Wildlife Conservation?

Do Aquaria have a place in wildlife conservation?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Yes but with some reform

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"There remains no compelling evidence for the claim that zoos and aquariums promote attitude change, education, or interest in conservation in visitors"

Marino, L. et al (2010). Do zoos and aquariums promote attitude change in visitors? A critical evaluation of the American zoo and aquarium study. Society & Animals, 18(2), 126-138.

"Do Zoos and Aquariums Promote Attitude Change in Visitors? A Critical " by Lori Marino, Scott O. Lilienfeld et al.

"although further investigation of this possibility using methodologically sophisticated designs is warranted."

Say no more...wink wink nod nod.

Being an aquarist I can tell you we are the world's coral bank. Most corals today are aquacultured. We've advanced the science so far with the money from the industry we can propagate just about any coral, breed just about any fish and for many species there is more biomass of coral on land than in the ocean. Think about that for a second. Has there been bad practices in the past, yes. But everything we've achieved far outweighs the damage of a few poorly regulated nations. Areas like Hawaii prove we can have a sustainable fishery and the fact is because of the aquarium industry we can replenish reefs with fish and coral when the time comes.

Here's the most recent list of captive bred marine fish. The publishers have a hard time keeping up because breakthroughs are happening so fast.
CORAL Magazine’s Captive-Bred Marine Fish Species List for

I will add that being involved in the industry most certainly changes the behavior of some people. For example, I cancelled my lawn fertilizing service because of getting into the industry. My lawn doesn't look as nice, but being 2 miles from the Gulf, I learned how this was damaging the reefs.

Back
Top Bottom