Are Canister Lights fading away...

Do you use a cordless light as your primary cave/wreck light?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no, i don't get any support from Bobby, or discounts or anything. I completely understand that real exploration is being done by the Halcyon sponsored expeditions, and if you decide that a 4* beam is so important, that you are willing to make the compromises associated with it, then that is your choice. For the average cave diver who is not laying line, and interested in SEEING the cave, the spot it too tight with the Flare for a primary.

I don't dive the LD-35, I dive the tighter beam angle and prefer it personally. I think 6* is the real sweet spot, others disagree, Bobby included, but it is my opinion.
My point was that you are making a lot of compromises to gain either a laser pointer, or an adjustable beam. Neither of which I think are worth the compromises for most cave divers.

I can save $300, sacrifice the adjustable beam and 4* angle, but gain 100% in efficiency, and 2x total light output in a smaller form factor with external charging. That's a no brainer in my book

no, i don't get any support from Bobby, or discounts or anything. I completely understand that real exploration is being done by the Halcyon sponsored expeditions, and if you decide that a 4* beam is so important, that you are willing to make the compromises associated with it, then that is your choice. For the average cave diver who is not laying line, and interested in SEEING the cave, the spot it too tight with the Flare for a primary.

I don't dive the LD-35, I dive the tighter beam angle and prefer it personally. I think 6* is the real sweet spot, others disagree, Bobby included, but it is my opinion.
My point was that you are making a lot of compromises to gain either a laser pointer, or an adjustable beam. Neither of which I think are worth the compromises for most cave divers.

I can save $300, sacrifice the adjustable beam and 4* angle, but gain 100% in efficiency, and 2x total light output in a smaller form factor with external charging. That's a no brainer in my book

You're shifting the goalposts a bit, as we started with a discussion about the focus, and now you're talking about the flare.

all of my arguments initially were against the flare as I was trying to make an apples to apples comparison. Comparable price point, and non-adjustable beam angle. I was originally thrown by oldbears post where he had the flare and focus backwards, but either way, the same discussion applies as Halcyon has gone with a very inefficient design and it is the same light for all intents and purposes. Whether you spend the extra $400 to have the adjustable focus or not, it is still the same light.

I did a dive a month ago 3 divers. Me on 50W light monkey HID (still my favorite), Diver 2 on light monkey 35W HID, Diver 3 on Halcyon Focus. Halcyon focus is a fine cave diving light and wasn't washed out at all.

Focus is adjustable (because you can focus it). Flare is nonadjustable.

PFC AJ,

You are correct, I am not good with names. I thought it was the other way around since a Flare would flare out and a Focus would maintain its Focus. I need to stop thinking before I hurt myself. (Don't believe everything you think is true :) )

Either way I love my light, with its adjustable beam, but would not buy it again since I do not utilize the adjustable beam feature...I would get the fixed beam.

Halcyon Focus and Flare - Halcyon Dive Systems

I'm using a Light Monkey 5.2 - 9 LED and Finnsub 3600 Long (both with canister + cord) as primaries.

Last edited:
I love my 21W HIDs. I also like the effect of LEDs in certain situation. I usually carry two primaries for that reason.

I still use my 18w HID most of the time with a 6-hour burn time. On cave dives of any length, I usually bring an extra light head and extra small canister (3.5-hour burn time). I treat my light like my gas and dive thirds. If (for whatever reason) I end up in the cave for another 1/3 of a dive, my primary will work the entire time. If it fails at max pen, my second canister will work on the entire exit. E/O cords all around. My dives are usually 3.5 to 4 hours, sometimes a little longer.

Has anyone tried the Halcyon Focus Handheld? According to the specs, 5 hours of burn time on the high setting, 15 on the low. Curious what cave divers think of this light.

If you attach the Focus to a regular canister with an E/O cord, the burn times are essentially endless. Attach it to a 4.5ah canister (cheap) and it'll burn as long as you want.

The Focus is quite a bit brighter then my 18w HID, but I'm not sure it penetrates as well. I've done about 10 dives with a focus and at least as many in front or behind one. The head is a bit heavy, but not too much. I don't love the square beam.

By the way, I have Big Blue video lights, and they're incredible. A bit heavy for handheld use. But that's a great company with a bright (sorry) future.

If you attach the Focus to a regular canister with an E/O cord, the burn times are essentially endless. Attach it to a 4.5ah canister (cheap) and it'll burn as long as you want.
Mines EO'd to a Dive Rite wreck can... I've been able to knock out 15 hours before recharging and it was still going strong. Love the Big Blue video lights, I have several and they've all been good to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom