Are there alligators in springs?

Discussion in 'Florida Diving' started by ScubaIvan, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ScubaIvan

ScubaIvan Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Hello all. I am still pretty new to diving and not the most knowlegable in wildlife. My questions is are there alligators in springs that we go diving in (i.e. Ginnie, Alexander, Rainbow, etc.) Is it too cold for them they are reptiles and are cold blooded. How do we go about avoiding them any suggestions or thoughts. Has anyone come across one? *GULP*

Thanks.

2. chickdiver

chickdiver Scuba Instructor

3. xiSkiGuy

xiSkiGuy Single Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    There was one in hanging out at Peacock earlier this year. It was a little creepy to finish your dive and see it looking at you 10 feet away.

One of the Park Rangers claimed that snorkelers had been petting it! :11: Needless to say they relocated it.

4. LiteHedded

LiteHedded Deep South DIR

# of Dives:
  5. Damselfish

Damselfish Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    bet those aren't the answers you wanted to hear. ;)

6. eandiver

eandiver Humbolt Squid

In Florida there is a chance for an alligator in any body of water.
    The more popular and crowded springs ( Ginnie) have fewer or none than the lesser visited springs (Peacock) but there still may be a gator around even with crowds (Alexander). The vast majority of them will leave you alone if you do the same.

Spring time is mating season and they become more aggressive. I have come across several while river diving and kayaking and never had a problem.

Always buddy up with a slower diver......it gives you the edge. :)
    Swim with a lot of people.......takes the gator longer to decide so again you have the edge. :)

7. Surelyshirly

Surelyshirly Single Diver

I asked this same question when I started diving and here is what I was told

8. SuPrBuGmAn

SuPrBuGmAn Giant Squid

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Gators?

Only if you are lucky!

9. flatwood

flatwood Single Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Someone told me that there was a gator at morrison springs so large that it was eating the cattle from the local farms! Makes me wonder what REALLY dug that hole that they call a "natural spring".

:D

10. mike_s

mike_s Blue Whale

They have a sign up at Morrison warning of Gators....

I've got a pic of it somewhere...
    (I found a copy of it, but it's been photoshopped a little.... heh.)

11. scubafool

scubafool Great White

Yes, it is entirely possible that you could see an alligator while diving in Florida springs. I have seen them at Peacock Springs and Alexander Springs. I know that they removed the gators from Alexander not to long ago, and I beleive that the same has occurred at Peacock as well.

Generally, they are not aggressive, and will leave you alone if you do the same. However, as others have said, that is not neccesarily true during mating season.

12. Tom Winters

Tom Winters Scuba Instructor

At least in a decent spring, you have a chance at seeing them from a ways off. Try to grab one though and you see how fast those guys can move. Don't go trying to grab any gator if they're over 8' though - leave that to the experts, adrenalin junkies, women named named Eileen, and men named Bob or Stu.

13. flatwood

flatwood Single Diver

8' is not that large. Heck... I'm 6'2". :D

14. simbrooks

simbrooks Snr LayZboy Meteorologist ScubaBoard Supporter

Of your 6'2", how big is your mouth???? Of their 8', at least 18" to 2' is all teeth ;)

As for the gators being cold blooded - they hang out on the banks and go for a dip every now and then. They dont hang around in the water all day.

15. Divergirl4U

Divergirl4U Single Diver

Yes ;) this is Florida you can expect them in every body of fresh water

16. ScubaIvan

ScubaIvan Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Thank you all for the insight. I will just need to keep a better eye out then.

17. ce4jesus

ce4jesus Manta Ray

Its not the gators you got to worry about....its those 30ft Burmese Pythons.

18. PalatkaBoy

PalatkaBoy Nassau Grouper

I believe Ber Rabbit and her crew ran into one at Alexander earlier this year. I've seen the photos on a thread so I assume they're loaded into her photo gallery.

19. 427Dave

427Dave Photographer

20. fldiver1

fldiver1 Barracuda

If you live and dive in Florida, its just a fact of life. you go swimming around here, you swim with gators. Dont worry though, they are kinda like sharks. They stay away from ya unless they are REAL HUNGRY or REAL CURIOUS then they will come in and bump ya, may take a little nibble just to see whats what. But unlike sharks, GATORS LIKE THE TASTE!!! I here we taste like chicken to them!! HAHA JK

Seriously though, just give me a wide berth and they most likely will do the same. I have seen gators on at least half my spring dive trips. Blue Spring, Alexander, Troy, etc. etc. They seem to always be around. Even had on swim RIGHT over my head at Alexander once. Never even looked at me but whenmy bubbles came up RIGHT under him(purged my regs under as he was swimming over) he shot away VERY FAST!! Didnt realize how fast they could swim!